What do guys mean by this?

This guy and I have been talking, he told a mutual friend that he didn't want to date me because he thought I was "too good" for him and that he thought I was really pretty and nice, and that I couldn't deal with his craziness. Why would a guy say this, because it doesn't make sense that someone wouldn't want to date someone who is "too good" for them?

Most Helpful Girl

• In this particular situation, I'd be curious what his "craziness" is ...

Sometimes people want someone who understands their particular situation better. He might mean he wants a girl who is edgier, more troubled, or wilder, etc -- a girl who won't hope that he reforms his rougher edges (drugs or alcohol use, as one example)

What Guys Said 1

• Too good means that he sees you as kind of high maintenance, hard to connect with, or he's not the type of guy that a girl like you will go with.

Some guys have this problem so they settle with girls who think are in the "same level" as them.

What Girls Said 1

• Sure it does.. if he sees you as much too good for him, it might not even make for a healthy relationship at all. Reading between the lines though, it could be that he has baggage you don't know about and which he assumes you'd want nothing to do with.