Is online dating a waste of time?

I've been a member of 5 different online dating sites over the past year and a half and have yet to meet anyone face to face. I've only gotten as far as half a dozen phone numbers. I'm really thinking that this is a complete waste of my time. How do men benefit from online dating (I'm willing to hear some advice, lol)?

Most Helpful Guy

• Honestly, it's hard to say whether or not it is or isn't a waste of time. I'm in your shoes though; currently, I'm registered on three or four different on-line dating websites, and I never get any bites on any of them. I spend tedious amounts of time re-writing my profiles, adding new pictures all of the time, messaging people that I find interesting, etc. and I never get anything. Most of the time, I never even get replies to the messages that I send; they simply read them and delete them.

I've know quite a few people who have gone onto on-line dating sites like I have, my Mother included, and the majority of them have run into the same problems that I have, and have eventually ended up becoming so frustrated with the sites that they give up hope on them. However, that's not to say that that's been the case for ALL of said people; one of my friends used to get countless profile views per day, messages and flirts like crazy, and would never have any trouble meeting people on the sites. Perhaps it's because he's good looking and rich though...

The bottom line is that it varies from person to person. The majority of people won't have any luck on those kinds of websites, and if you're looking at any that require you to subscribe to them, meaning pay them to use their services, then I highly advise you NOT to do so, as it's a waste of time and money, and will only leave your frustrated, with less money in your pockets in the long run. If you're not having any luck on these on-line dating websites, I think it'd be a better, more effective use of your time for you to try going out to a couple of bars or clubs every now and then, and trying to meet someone in person. Odds are you'll have much better luck that way anyways, as on-line, people can be anybody they want to be, and may not even look like who they portray themselves to in their profile.

Generally speaking, it's just a better idea to try and meet people face-to-face, as then you instantly have an idea of who they are.

What Girls Said 2

• I totally understand your frustration. I think it's a waste of time. Sometimes I think some people go on those sites to feed their ego and get attention from men or women. I wouldn't trust it.

• Go for a girl in person. However, and this is from experience if you happen to be online, or whatever & you happen to meet a girl who's a little far & the both of you click & hit things off there is nothing wrong trying something long distance with someone. Don't just play it off like it's not worth it because the two of you met online. Sometimes you can't help where you meet someone & if you were really like each other than it can be worth it.

• I'm just saying that spending a few hours a week for a year and a half making small talk with people who eventually just stop responding is quite exhausting and I'm tired of it.

• Agreed

What Guys Said 7

• Yeahp, I totally agree. It usually just sort of dies off most of the time.

It's also kinda frustrating at times. I mean, I might get a lot of flak for this, but I'm more attracted to men than I am to obese or overweight women, and that seems to be the majority online.

And then when you DO find a girl of normal weight, you're basically one of 500 guys talking to her.

I mean, OKCupid ran the stats, and girls almost NEVER initiate conversation. They usually go in and check their inboxes of dozens of men. The amount of attention received is pretty unilateral.

• One of my coworkers gets 5+ first dares a week when he used online dating, which he does between girlfriends when looking for one.

Another coworker met his wife online.

• you get out of it what you put into it.

if you are socially awkward and using online dating as a crutch to avoid the real world, your profile is boring, your photos are bland, and your messages are cliche, of course you will fail.

but if you do it right, its far from a waste of time.

• for the average guy I'd say so

• it sure is

• It's a waste of time if you don't know how to play the game, yeah.

• I personally never had any interest in online dating and I think it screams that you lack confidence and interpersonal skills. I don't think its a big deal to online date in your early to mid 20's but anything past that can come off creepy.