Should I even bother to make an effort with my ex?

My ex and I had a year long relationship about 6 months ago. It wasn't a messy break-up but it was his decision to call it quits and I knew I couldn't keep him because he had no interest in me anymore. His reasoning was that he wanted to focus on other things, didn't really want a serious relationship, and that everything was moving along too fast. And so we broke up. The first few months were kind of rough for me because I did miss him quite a lot. But soon after the break-up, I started focusing on other things in my life and I got over it.

I am happy and content with where I am right now and will soon be off to grad school after this summer. However, just recently, a couple days ago now, I received a text message from an unknown number. It was my ex. He had gotten my number from one of our mutual friends. He has been texting me non-stop over the past few days, asking me how I have been, what I am up to, asking me to come out for drinks etc. Now, I am no longer interested in a relationship with him but I AM curious to know WHY he is willing to talk to me after all this time? Should I take him up on his offer and hang out with him? Or should I just ignore him and tell him to stop texting me?

Let me assure you that I have NO INTENTION of ever getting back with him. I have bigger things to worry about. But I guess I can't really understand what he wants and I am generally a very curious person. I can't get it out of my head that there's a REASON for why he is texting me after HE was the one who told me he wanted out.

Does he want sex? A rebound? Is he lonely? Does he regret his decision? What exactly are his intentions?

I obviously know that you guys don't know EXACTLY what's going on inside his head BUT I am looking for some general/logical answers. Maybe someone who has been through this? Guys who might have done this? Anything will help!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Most Helpful Girl

• I think that in many cases when an ex gets in touch out of the blue again, it's because s/he is having a rough time and they remember their past. With ex-partners, it's generally if they've been through a break-up, or if someone's rejected them.

It could also be that after six months he realized that you must have moved on and that started to irk him and he is curious about what you've been up to and how you are.

Of course, he could want sex, or perhaps even a relationship. Maybe he just thinks that after six months, you can maybe try to be friends.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 1

• He wanted to reconnect with you as a friend. If you have no interested in contacting him just ignore him and keep doing your thing.