Would a tattoo be a reason for you not to date someone?

There are quite some questions about tattoos on this site, mostly what you think of them, if you have any, if you want any, ... But I wondered, some people still think tattoos are for ex cons and criminals (like my parents still think that) and if it could be a reason for someone not to date someone?

Personally, I have no problems with tattoos at all, I kinda love them, so for me it wouldn't be a reason not to be with someone. But some tattoos are an expression of a belief or something, so even if I don't agree with it, still not a reason to date someone. Some tattoos can be a turn off, but well, that happens.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think that to a large extent it really depends on context/ subject matter. For example if a guy thought lower back tatts were trashy tramp stamps and wasn't attracted to it- fair enough. If a guy had crosses and bible quotes tattooed and you aren't religous yourself it would be understandable to be put off by it.

However, I personally wouldn't be put off by the general idea of someone having a tattoo at all. I think if your are the type of person who would be creative or adventerous or dedicated enough to get a tattoo and are met by someone who completely dismisses you simply because of your tattoo, then you probably weren't going to have ended up being very compatible anyway- so no real loss.

I have a couple of piercings, not genitals or anything, but in different places and got a lot of guys "wont like you because of it" etc comments. But I've noticed the guys that are extremely put off and dismissive of it or me because of it, are very different from me in terms of open-mindedness or spontaneouity or freedom of expression. Hence, I don't feel like I'm at any loss if they judge me heavily for it as we never would have worked out long-term romantically anyway.

What Guys Said 8

• Definitely depends. I find sleeves and large back tattoos EXTREMELY unattractive on women, I even know one girl with a huge tattoo on her stomach, she's really pretty but the tattoo is a complete turnoff. Also, if she has her ex's name tattooed on her, that's a definite goodbye on my part. For the most part, I don't like tattoos on women but a small one here and there that has meaning can be sexy.

• Tattoos are hot on women the more they have the more hot the woman is hands down tattoos are becoming a way of life everyone has one now days

• Not for the reasons you mentioned... If a girl has tats, it kind of shows 1) she's short sighted, 2) capable of making some bad decisions, 3) likely felt she needed to rebel for some reason so she might have an unstable family situation/baggage she's dragging into my life, 4) she's easily influenced by people that say it would be cool, 5) I think it looks unattractive, etc.

• How about women who have a tattoo that has a meaning to them? Why are tattoos linked with an unstable family situation to you?

• Hm, then we have a different opinion on it. Thanks for your answer!

• Sure no problem.

• It really depends, even if I think the tattoo is stupid, she may have gotten it for a very personal reason that means a lot to her, so basically, if she got it because it has some meaning to her and didn't get it because she was drunk and thought it would be cool, I wouldn't have a problem with it. (I have a tattoo)

• fat people should not get tattoos

very dark black people should not get tattoos

super skinny people should not get tattoos

other than that I like tattoos on people, especially ones done with style and has meaning. I would not oppose dating someone with tattoos unless it was her ex's face all over her back.

• Why shouldn't fat/skinny/dark people get tattoos?

• Because everyone should live their lives according to what he finds attractive or not, duh.

• because it looks horrible on them. its not like people are gonna listen to me and stop getting tattoos.

• Depends on what and where. Mostly no.

• Possibly. I don't like tattoos.

• Getting a tattoo is the new conformist thing to do. I see so many lame ass tattoos on girls these days, like a stupid butterfly, a rose/flowers, a heart, barbed wires, Japanese writing, overused quotes (live,laugh,love) ect. I probably wouldn't date someone with a tattoo. ESPECIALLY a tramp stamp regardless of how cool, unique or what she tells me it means.

What Girls Said 11

• I had an ex boyfriend who said that if I ever got any tattoos or piercings he would leave me. So yes, he's my ex boyfriend.

I can see if it was an offensive tattoo like a swastika or something like that. But to put a flower on your body or whatever other thing, that is your business.

Same with piercings. They do come out so it's not as bad. I have my nose pierced. Me and my ex had a fight because I said I wanted to get it done. And he put his foot down. He said that I would be ugly if I got it. Not true, it looks great and I always get compliments on it.

So as soon as we were broken up, I got myself my nose piercing :) I love it! I love tattoos too, so they are not a problem for me. Tattoos are beautiful, not just for ex cons. Prison tattoos are a completely different thing, sometimes the person is forced to get them, they are not done professionally, etc...

But a regular tattoo can be beautiful, especially with a good artist.

• Well... this is a cool question I'm assumig your curious about other peoples answers. I don't think a person should be a yes or a no when it comes to liking somebody. I think ifsomebody is truly attracted to another person they shouldn't care unless the tattoo was really ugly or tacky but then again it shouldn't matter lol XD that's just my opinion though

I don't think I'd dump smebody lol or notgive them a chance unless their tattoos were classless like... a racist thing.. gang symbols.. marijuana leaf or naked chicks honestly id probably judge them which is wrng lol and it may make m caucious around them but id probably treat them nice though if they were nice to me lol unless I was suspicious of their intentions

• Only if the tattoo is offensive.

• I guess if it was small and not obnoxious and in an easily hidden location I wouldn't mind it. I definitely wouldn't if it was on his head or it had something to do with an ex girlfriend.

It's not that I think that tattoos are for criminals, I just think they're ugly and show lack of foresight.

• hell no. if you have tattoos your automatically 100X more attractive

• If they are gang related it's an instant turn off and wouldn't date a person with such likes.

• I don't mind tatts as long as it isn't massive and isn't something vulgar.

• Yep but sometimes its a turn on.

• I dated a guy with tats and he was an tattoo artist too.. You can't look at the outside appearance. It's what's on the inside and their personality that counts. He had both...looks, laid back, sweet & the tattoos were just an added bonus that made him HAWT! Oh my, thinking about him my heart skips... ;-) The only let down of it all, he wasn't ready for a "relationship"

• It depends.

For example, my cousin's husband has a KKK tattoo on his neck. That'd be a deal breaker.

• I don't like tattoos. and probably wouldn't date someone with multiple tattoos