Is just dating a minor illegal?

If they're not sleeping with each other.

It's not as bad as it sounds.Asking for a friend, he's 24 and seeing this girl who is 17 turning 18 in a few months. I've met her, she's nice, pretty and seems mature for her age. Appearently he has met her parents too and they're fine with it.

He just doesn't want to get into trouble, so wants to know what's legal and what's not. We looked up some laws but all we could find was regarding sexual intercourse with a minor. They're not having sex yet, he wants to wait at least until she is 18. So is there any law that would make having a romantic relationship with a minor illegal?

We're in Texas if that matters

Most Helpful Guy

• The "age of consent" varies from state to state.

I believe in NY that 17 year olds can have sexual intercourse with any age.

I believe they could get around it by saying something like kidnapping for example. But they'd have to try really hard to pull that off. If you two are driving yourselves to and from your dates and staying in public then there is nothing they can do at all. Going to each others' houses is where it would get tricky but only if the parents are very against it.

I've had a similar issue with someone who was 17 when I was in my lower 20's and the parents were very against it and they never went legal with it.

What Girls Said 3

• It's illegal to have sex with a minor (and age of consent varies from place to place), but it's not illegal to date a minor. I don't see there being any issues.

• Nope. Not illegal

• 17 is the consentual age

What Guys Said 3

• It's not illegal.

• If it confines to the age of consent, it's not illegal. As already pointed out, it varies state by state.

• The legal age of consent is 17 in Texas so maybe practice your research next time.