Guys with off and on girlfriends...

After talking to a guy for a couple months last year, he all of a sudden started friend zoning me and I figured out why later. I found out his ex had come back. Apparently they dated and broke up and dated again and broke up again, etc for over 4 years.

He just mentioned to me that they are broken up again. Then a couple days later he said he wants us to hang out again. When he led me on last year and then dropped me for his ex, it was the most painful experience of my life. I'm not sure I want my feelings to grow considering they haven't fully gone away yet.

It would be bad a idea to start talking to him again, right?

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 1

• Yes. Coming from someone who has been in an off-and-on relationship for four years (weirdly enough), 90% of the time it's going to be a bad idea, and I think you know this too.

1. You got really attached to him when you two were talking but he dropped you immediately when they got back together, and that hurt you. She may or may not come back again, but if she does and they get back together, it's going to hurt again. Not only would it be a waste of time, but you may be making things harder on him.

Which brings us to point 2,

2. You have to give them, the couple, space until they can sort their issues out before you should make your move. There are obviously still a lot of feelings there (as there usually is with couples who have dated that long) and often relationships or anything that immediately follows this kind of break-up ends up as nothing more but a rebound relationship. Until he decides they are completely through (which WILL take time, no matter what he might say right now), you should either let time take its course or move on to someone else.

Hope I helped.