Can night owls and morning people date happily?

Can night owls and morning people date happily or will it always end badly due to mis-matched schedules? Opinions and experiences?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm a night owl (guessing you are too judging from the posting time), but that doesn't mean that I'm a complete vampire who never sees daylight!

In terms of just dating it usually isn't THAT big of a problem (since most dates do not occur early-early morning or late-late night), but I am not sure for living together. I'd imagine SOMEONE would have to change after some amount of time.

Personally I could adjust to daylight if needed (since most of the world expects this from people anyway) but I would love it if I found a girl who also stays up late. I guess I would be willing to change also because most jobs in my career field tend to operate during daylight schedules for meeting purposes (though I have lots of potential for working from home during my own time as well).

Anyway, the way I see it is:

1. You find someone interesting who you want to know better

2. You date them to see if you are compatible

3. After a year or two as a couple you move-in together to live in sin as a 'practice' marriage

4. You marry if there were no problems living together or you separate because things didn't work out (at least you didn't marry and then separate, right?)

That's really all there is to it. I mean are you going to toss someone great out just because you *think* things won't work out? You gotta give each other a chance -otherwise there's zero chance.

What Guys Said 3

• Anyone who needs an alarm clock is annoying. I don't care if they are a morning person that uses it at 5 AM to get a fresh start to the day or one that lets it ring 10 times before getting up at 12. Alarm clocks suck. =P I'd say the typical college age night owl that like to go out to clubs and bars all night and then crash mid morning and sleep until noon vs the typical morning person that wants to sleep by about midnight and get up in the morning to do whatever are going to different interests, and most likely get pissed at each other when it comes to sex and sleep.

• The woodpeckers are up night and day so they'll get along well with everyone... or no-one of that matter

• Wow finally a good question on gag...Maybe they can but it is a tough one to call. The morning person would usually get fed up with the night owl's life after a while in my opinion.

What Girls Said 2

• My partner and I are both "night owls" (we prefer to be up late and sleep in), but we work very different schedules. He works during the day (9 am to 5 pm) and I work during the night (7 pm to 7:30 am).

It works pretty well. He sleeps while I'm at work (~midnight to 8 am), and I sleep while he's at work (8-9 am to 4-5 pm). I'm awake by the time he gets home from work, we eat dinner together, then I go to work. But since I work 12 hour shifts, I work (on average) 3 days a week, which means most days we get to spend the entire evening together, like "normal" couples do. On weekends, he usually stays up later, so we get to spend a good amount of time together (when I'm not working)

It also means that we spend a healthy amount of time apart from each other to do our own thing (see our friends, pursue our own hobbies/interests) and get household chores done, so those things don't cut into our time together and thus, we're more focused on doing quality things together.

The only thing that makes our relationship kind of "weird" is that we generally don't sleep together (like, sleep in the same bed at the same time). It's alright though, because we both tend to sleep better on our own anyway, and it makes the times that we do sleep together more special.

• Why not happy?