Is it inappropriate to talk about money on a first date?

i.e. how much do you make, how much was your car, how much was your rent?

(Im assuming that the answer is yes but if you're getting serious with that person, when is the appropriate time)?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it would be easier to just wear a shirt that said "gold digger."

Then you don't have to say anything.

You know what I tend to do on the first date is ask a woman how well she gives blowjobs because after the date is over I'm never talking to her again.

You mean I SHOULDNT do that?

• " because it makes the date feel like a job interview or something"

WHat the f***?

THATS your problem with it?

Not that its shallow gold digging?

My issue though is if you are really a gold digger you should like I said wear that shirt or just tell him as soon as you meet him, that way only the people that like gold diggers and enjoy having their money stolen will be with you.

What Guys Said 3

• lol if you start asking about money in your first date, it will make you seem like a gold digger point blank, but eventually you'll find out how much income he's taking in, otherwise its a pretty ridiculous thing to do asking that on a first date.

• I think it's a huge faux pas...

• Are you the girl who just said she wanted her boyfriend to buy her expensive crap? If not, I apologize.

First date money discussions are an automatic red flag. It'd be one thing if you asked what I did for work, where I was from, and what I had for siblings. But if you asked things solely about my income, car and what I pay for rent - I'd go to the bathroom, leave, and stick you with the bill.

• LOL! unfortunately true

• oh wow I didn't realize it came off like that and that the girl just wanted his money

• I wasn't picking on you or anything, just letting you know how it comes across.

What Girls Said 3

• I personally don't like to discuss income on the first date because it makes the date feel like a job interview or something. If I like the guy I'm seeing and he's a potential boyfriend, then we can discuss income, and short and long term goals later. I'd rather get to know someone first rather than how much he makes. That way, I can decide if I like him or not or if there's any chemistry between us. It's much better than writing him off based on income and never knowing if he was someone I would actually like and be with.

• Oh, that's a big no no hun. not only is it a automatic red flag like said above it also makes you look like a gold digger, and that's not a good look at all.

The appropriate time I feel to ask those kind of question would probably be during your 5+ date. But don't be so blunt about it! Do it in a discreet matter. i.e. Talk about the place where you live saying how its not too shabby for so and so price.

• On a first date, yes. A first date is supposed to be "relationship foreplay". If money is what the people care about, then that's probably what they're going to talk about. I don't care about it, I want to know about HIM, not his financial standings. If a man bragged about money on a first date, it'd hr a turn off, honestly. I'm not a gold-digger and I don't want to be treated like one, haha!