Are we dating? Or just hanging out...?

There's such a fine line between dating and hanging out. How do you tell the difference between the two?

For me, I met a guy in one of my classes. We had lunch last week. That night he asked me to hang out over the weekend. So yesterday, we planned to hang out for an hour or two, but it turned out last all afternoon. We ended up having dinner together before he dropped me off at home. He paid for everything though I offered. He did ask me when we can hang out again, but I didn't give him a definite answer because of assignments I have due in the next few weeks.

So...would you consider this dates? or just hang outs?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think that dating involves more casual activities such as dinners, or movies. A walk together on the beach, in the park, or some other peaceful place. Events such as fireworks, or some kind of show. Hanging out is doing non-casual stuff such as playing a sport, going to a game, that kind of stuff. That's just what I think. My definition of dating vs hanging out.

Most Helpful Girl

• Date. He paid. I think he's just trying to keep it casual right now.

What Guys Said 2

• If he paid, they're dates.

• He likes you!

What Girls Said 3

• Dating is when you guys are officially exclusive. Hanging out is if you don't mind him hanging out with other people.

• I had the exactly same doubt!

He payed for everything even though I was the one asking him out (which he kinda feigned he didn't listen that when I asked, and ended up asking me to "hang out" one minute later!, but I still count as me asking him out).

We went out again after that and he kissed me... So I'm thinking dates, lol

• I would consider them dates, yes. He might not though.