Is it weird to date a 16 year old when you're 18?

Im 18 and graduated early so I'm in college but all the college guys I've met are jerks who only want to party and recently I became friends with a 16 year old who goes to my old high school. A mutual friend introduced us and he's very nice and very much my type. I never thought I'd like someone younger but I do. I live at home still so my college expenses aren't as high and my mom doesn't approve. So is it wrong to want to date a 16 year old when I'm 18?

What Guys Said 2

• Well, I'll give you my personal experience.

I've only ever had one girlfriend, who I dated for 5 years and eventually became my fiancé. When we started dating, I was 18 (almost 19) and she was 16. We dated 5 years and we fought ALOT. When she turned 21, I proposed. She said yes and a few months later cheated.

Your mother's disapproval is going to be the least of your worries. What you need to understand is that its not the numbers that are important, its the maturity level. There is a huge gap of maturity between pre-high school diploma and post high school diploma. Think back to all the immaturity when you were 16...drama...gossip...etc. That's what he'll be going through for the next 2 years.

Something else to consider is the fact that you do not exist in his high school. His friends will look up to him for dating a college girl, but the high school girls will be the ones to attempt to bring him down to their level. Would he be willing (or able) to ignore such attention.

Also, odds are he's going to be incredibly insecure. Think about it...he's a mere high school student while you're a hot college student hanging out in dorms, participating in college activites, etc...something he doesn't have access to. Trust me...he'll be jealous, he'll be worried, he'll be difficult to deal with.

Then comes the issue with the numbers. When I went through this, I was talked about and insulted for months, at times being called a cradle robber or worse, a pedophile. You may not have such an issue I did, but if you like him, I can promise you someone else does. If that's the case, you can expect some drama coming your way. In terms of parents' approval, yours is going to be difficult as it is, but the question is how are his parents going to feel? You're 18 and your parents can't tell you what to do anymore. His parents on the other hand have complete and total control over him.

And finally, there's the law. In most states, sexual activity is OK with a 16 year old as long as the 16 year old is willing to testify that it was consent. In other states, its okay as long as the parents say it is. Then in other states, its illegal completely. Either way, the law is an issue.

Based on my experience, I would advise you to avoid it. Am I saying everything I just told you will happen to you? No, but I can promise you, these are issues you are going to have to deal with. Good luck...

• IMO no.Dating= nothing wrong. Sexual= Illegal.

• I'm the type of girl who wants to wait until engaged or close to it before having sex so its not an issue, but probably the reason no one my age works out xD

• Well your awsome then, because no offense a lot of girls these days.. will sleep with anyone that gives them ANY attention...lol.

• lol yay, I love being awesome ^-^ haha. And trust me I've realized that about girls, that was all my high school had haha

What Girls Said 0