Who else hates one-word texts like I do?

So this is one of my biggest pet-peeves that I can possibly think of. Does anybody else share this pet-peeve with me?

Every time I text someone new and all they respond with are one word replies, it really annoys me. It makes me feel like they really don't want to talk to me or they have the nerve to be rude (which I do think it's kind of rude). I feel like those people have no interest in me and usually I make up an excuse to stop talking or I just don't respond to it or just write a text saying "...".

Many of my friends say they don't really care about this one-word text peeve. Any GaG users also hate it when they get one-word texts back after writing a sentence or two? Girls especially seem to do this.

Most Helpful Girl

• Ugh, I HATE it! I never know if they're annoyed with me or just unoriginal as hell. Regardless, I usually stop talking them. I hate it when I pour my guts out to someone in a text and they're just like "Yea." It makes me feel like I'm not connecting with them.

• I've been tempted to just say "do you care?" but haven't done that yet... I'm probably gonna pull that one soon!

• Well, give it a try. You obviously WANT it to work.

• No kidding, I want it to work! I don't want to hate having a conversation with her every time!

What Girls Said 6

• I share your pet-peeve. Sometime my boyfriend will do it and I feel like I said something wrong so I have to go back and check my previous messages but I didn't do anything wrong. It makes me paranoid. I usually don't reply back if I know it is going to be a one work text. I reply when I actually have something to say.

• It's good you wrote about this, because many think it's a "guy" thing. I am a nerd and like to write texts in complete sentences or at least little phrases like "g2g ttyl <3." So I understand your pet peeve very much!

• i don't respond to one word texts whether it yea, or no, or lol, whatever...idgaf. I don't reply. even when its from my best friends lol its not that they don't wanna talk to me. I know they do. but its just such a conversation ender.

• Not really I don't care less it's obvious they must be busy or cbfed talking lol so I usually just stop txting them when they keep sending only one word replies because I'm wasting my text on them so I text someone who feels like having a good text convo when I feel like txting. I have my moments when I'm a bit slack with my replies usually when I'm tired or busy.

• me

• It's better than being completely ignored (in my mind), but yes, sometimes it annoys me. Not all the time though, sometimes a big response isn't warranted or expected.

Basically, it depends on the context and conversation. If I'm texting my heart out (haha) and all I get back is "k", then it might bug me. If we're just ending a point, or just checking in, short responses don't bother me.

What Guys Said 6

• Same for me...i use complete thoughts when I text (although not all textbook-English; I use some shorthand).

I am so blunt about it that I have been known to respond on something along the lines of,

"im using full thoughts and you're giving me generic 1-2 words answers...do you not want to talk to me?"

-----

Then I ignore the person until I get a response, or until I feel like texting them again when another conversation-starter occurs.

-----

Yes, I know I can be an intense person. Good person...but an intense "head-on" type of person.

That's what happens when you've been a nice&quiet person that people "blew off" and were evasive to,

instead of being direct to me about how they feel,

because they thought because I was a kind a quiet person that I have fragile emotions or whatever and were "afraid to hurt my feelings"

-----

Therefore I don't like having "loose ends" that can be implied more than one way.

If I think someone is being evasive and is SCARED to tell me that they don't want to text with me for whatever reason, dammit I'll ask.

Better than "being left hanging" because someone sent "lol" to a complete-sentence message that I sent him or her.

• Yeah sometimes. With girls, I can't decipher when they do that if they're bored or busy and wish that I would stop bothering them or if theyre just not talkative but want to talk. I have girls respond "K" or "KK" to stuff and I thought it meant I'm done with this conversation. Well, I stop talking to them then. Get a text later, "why did you ignore me and stop texting me?" Well, when someone says "K" to something that not a agree/disagree question or statement, I take it as "Okay, enough, stop texting me."

• Yeah it sucks, and it just shows how lazy peps are.

• I tell all my friends to call, or I'll call. Texts are f***ing garbage for communication. I've got an old flip phone, and sending a text of any depth takes forever.

If I have to take a few minutes to send a text, I might as well call. I wish other people felt the same. No tone of voice is horrible.

This would have made a great poll question.

But yeah dude, one word is sh*tty. I do it, but I usually call, you know? I just don't like texts.

• Honestly there is nothing wrong with one word texts? If someone texts me want to go to the bar? I'll just say "k" or "yah" something like that. I don't' see the problem with one word responses especially if they are yes or no type questions.

• ME!