'It's basic biology that women date men with lots of money?'

An anonymous girl basically said this in another question.

Agree or disagree? and why?

Hypergamy: According to evolutionary psychologists, females have evolved a preference for higher status males because they offer their prospective children both "better" genes and greater resources, e.g. food and security

h ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypergamy
What do you guys think of this hypergamy?

Most Helpful Guy

• There have been studies that show show groups of women will find men that are otherwise unattractive attractive if he has a high salary. Women as a group have a price. They can be bought. In contrast men as a group can't be bought. Now matter how much money a woman has or makes, if she's unattractive in the qualities a man looks for, she's still unattractive.

• Yeah and those women are shallow women. Women care about physical appearance of the guy if they aren't attracted to him then they aren't attracted to him.

• Apparently you don't know how to read. Congratulations on making it through high school.

What Girls Said 11

• Historically speaking, way back when women weren't allowed to hold jobs of any kind of status above "maid" or "nun" and didn't have political rights, women were pretty much forced to seek out someone who could provide for them - by default, that would be a man (given that men were the ones who actually had power, money, and status).

I don't really consider that a biologically-mediated phenomenon, though - the fact that women are the only ones who can carry children doesn't appear to hamper our ability to hold other jobs. This is evident both today (where almost half the labor force is female) and throughout history in less-affluent areas (if you're just trying to survive, everyone in the family works unless they're sick or dying). If women hold jobs (and are allowed modern rights, so they can keep the money and hold their own property), all this goes out the window and they don't necessarily need someone else to step in and support them. So what gives?

It's a social thing, not a biological thing. While some women are all about exercising their rights to independence now that they exist, a lot of media that we're exposed to (Disney, anyone?) espouses this concept of "girls should be princesses". If not princesses, we're still portrayed as damsels in distress that are just oh so grateful when a man steps in to intercede. Strong Female Characters are a little bit more common now, but when I was little, it was princesses and damsels or nothing. Girls grow up thinking of that situation as something to aspire to - and why not? They've already spent all their lives being taken care of, and if they have no female role models who work and are successful on their own, there's really nothing out there to show them that they maybe can or might want to just support themselves without relying on someone else's salary.

• Wow I apparently am the exception. I honestly don't care how much money the guy makes, because I've always been able to take care of myself. All but one guy I have dated have made half of what I do and I never had a problem with it at all. You are dating the person not a job.

• There have been studies that show women do do this. But think about when women couldn't work and HAD to marry up for her and her family's sake. I think that's been ingrained in women even now. Also, money is a sign of power. Show me one women who isn't turned on by a powerful man.

That being said, I'm attracted to guys who crave success and know how to get what they want, THAT's power to me. There are women who go out and will only talk to guys with money, but there are also women who don't give a sh*t either way. I can take care of myself, I pay for my own apartment and paid for college myself (I mean, it was a scholarship, but I earned it).

I like guys who know how to and can take care of themselves, yes he might be rich because of it, or he might not be. It doesn't matter either way as long as he's where he wants to be. If he wants to be a CEO but he doesn't have the drive to work for it, that's unattractive. If he's living off his trust fund money, that's unattractive. If he's up before the sun and works hard all day for what he wants, that's one of the sexiest things a guy can do, money or not.

• No. I don't give a sh*t about money. Just big arms and penis please :)

• so date a broke guy or date a guy who has a job with money? hmmmm I think you know what a girl will choose. Would we rather struggle or live a pretty good life? Yeah dating a man with money is a given. Always will be. Not biology just no woman wants to struggle.

• I think women are open to a greater number of factors when it comes to attraction,

This can be positive, like women are more likely to fall in love with men who are kind, generous compassionate, hard working, men who are brave and do good deeds, or who are successful and esteemed, women will fall in love for these qualities alone,

isn't that a good thing?

success and status usually requires a lot of hardwork, determination and sacrifice

If a man is hardworking, outstanding in his field , successful or self sacrificing, he is seen quite rightly as more worthy and valued by women. but men don't care about any of these things in a women, you can be incredibly brave, successful and intelligent, but all a guy rates you on is your ass...that seems more shallow to me.

• It's common sense. Why would I date a guy with no money? Why should I take my chances with a guy like that? I wouldn't.

• not 'no money.' lots of money

• Be quiet.

• lol why?

• A guy with money is attractive.

• Google hypergamy. It's true. Guys will never understand.

• What's the point of your update. Either you understand it or you don't.

• You don't have a life. You constantly posted questions about it.

• I've got 2 jobs and make lots of money. so, sorry anon girl. you are wrong.

• Here's the thing, you do have your women out there who seek after men with lots of money(hold diggers) if you will...ok they do exsist sure... However you have your women who don't, ..now if you meet someone who's has a decent job, or SOmeone who owns there business or something just had a bigger mind set to succeed.. What's wrong with that.. So, because a guy that I married has a taste for the finer things, I'm a gold diggers lol..that's rediculous..if I'm raised into a wealthy family..all I ever been around are men of a certain caliber..do I date a man who don't have..no. I'm a product of my environment.

So men are shallow then cause most men won't date a "ugly" women ..men with money aren't walking around with "Rosie's O'Donald" on there arms...you gotta be kidding me. So old men with money date younger women with hot bodies are called what ?.

• Women don't like dating ugly guys either. Just take a look around here on GAG to see what women generally want.

• I don't have to look it up ...I'm a women educated goal oriented with determination to survive and succeed...I live it everyday..and I couldn't date any man who's not offering the same period.

Wether he's already established or have the same goals as mine period ...it just won't work if I dated anybody else who's not that way.

• I didn't mention anything about money in my comment whatsoever. I said girls don't like dating ugly guys

• No,that's just ridiculous.

What Guys Said 8

• Disagree

There is no doubt that some women are attracted to wallets that are attached to men. For the most part, I believe that MOST women are attracted to the man who they find appealing, charismatic, treats them well, with dignity and respect and can provide an acceptable level of comfort and security. The real biology is that most women are attracted to men. I just don't think that you can compare all women to the lowly standard of a select few. The truth of the matter is than every woman is her own individual and thee percentage of women who just want a morally sound man is extremely high and the percentage of a woman who is more attracted to a man just because he has money is extremely low.

• sorry about the thee when it should be the...laptop double types letters sometimes. I try to catch it when it happens but every now and then one will slip by.

• Yeah, kind of.

Basically, men criticise women for dating wealthy men and women criticise men for dating beautiful women. But who's to blame really? We search for partners that give us the best chances of offspring, which is healthy or powerful partners. We all would like to think we are better than basic biology, but are we really?

• I do not know if I am the only sane person on this planet or the only insane but for me money is only papers with numbers on it. I have held large amounts in my hands and tried to figure out what it made me feel. Its just stupid how people obsess over the ends to the means.

If biology values something worthless who is only worth something because it can then later be trade for something else with value then first of all I am biologically defect but biology also dropped the ball on that one.

Money or not women are attracted to men that can support them. Perhaps they don't have a penny to their name but own a 5 star restaurant with stores and hotel so they can have everything they desire without ever using money? Would he be any less attractive then someone with money to do the same?

• People need to stop using misunderstood and ridiculous 'science' to justify bullsh*t. Women liking men for money isn't biological because biology was around before money ever existed, women might go for men they think are more powerful (that is probably biological) but attributing that to pure money is a bit stupid. It isn't the actual money, it is the status that comes with the money.

• Money also indicates that you are able to provide and take care. A poor man probably doesn't work hard or makes wrong choices, money is a clear sign that you are doing something right. It's like people dating with someone with a degree. It's not about the piece of paper, it's about the accomplishment.

• yeah that was my point, it isn't about the money, its about what the money can bring... its as simple as that really.

• Women can date men even if they don't have lots of money if they are in love. Hypergamy is true, in my opinion, but people also have free will. Wealth is not an indicator that men will treat women well. Also, some women might be interested in money, not the men. Just because women date men with lots of money doesn't mean that it is for the money. Also, wealth is sometimes an indicator of class and classiness (two different things).

• To anon girl who wrote: "No, that's just ridiculous."

Ridiculous or not, it's true. But it's not an inherently bad thing. It's just the facts of life. Throughout the history of humankind males have been providers and women have taken care of home and family. It's our nature as humans to follow that path. Men and women are wired for it.

In modern times we see a divergence from that path for a number of reasons, the most important being that women want independence from men and they want to feel valued for the same things for which men are valued. Due to the technology and infrastructure men have put in place, women can now have those things.

But...it doesn't necessarily lead them to the happiness and fulfillment they think it will. Ultimately, most of the HAPPY men and women who are middle aged or older are those who don't fall for the illusion of "equality in everything" and "having it all" and instead choose the traditional roles and raise a family together. It's what we evolved doing and what we are most suited for and the odds of happiness are much greater on that path. Society and the media still try to convince us otherwise, but if you observe people objectively without preconceived bias, there is no mistaking it.

With that in mind, it's no surprise that women would seek out a partner, either consciously unconsciously, who has the greatest chance of being successful at doing his part in that equation. Men do exactly the same thing, except that they select for different traits in a women because she has a different role in the family equation.

Men are attracted to good looking women, and whether or not they realize it, women who are more likely to make good mothers. Likewise, women are attracted to men who are likely to be good providers for a family.

Not a politically correct answer, I know, but it's the cold hard truth of humanity. We all need to stop denying it and judging women for being drawn to financially successful men. It's their nature and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. The belief that it's shallow or immoral for women to behave that way is an artificial construct that makes no sense in the context of REAL human nature.

• Agreed. Simple logic. It does not work the other way around, though.

• What I mean is, if the woman is extremely bad looking (overweight, face covered with zits, hairy legs, etc), then the same net worth on a fat guy would not have the same effect.

• It's gross to date somebody for what they have and not for the person themselves