Is it wrong for college or graduate students to text or email in class?

sure I know it isn't the best habit but do you think it is really awful for a student to text in class if he or she is still paying attention?

this girl said "if you are going to text in college or university or graduate class it means you should not be in school"

I think that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

What do you think?

i only do it when the teacher is not lecturing and a classmate of mine is talking.
even though I do look at my phone I participate a lot and I listen closely. it is mostly when there is a tangent and not something related to the course, which happens. I remember everything and take good notes.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think you have to allow the students a certain level of autonomy at that level. It's like anything, if you do it excessively or non-discreetly, or while you should be listening, it's more disrespectful. An occasional glance at a phone, ten secs to type something out, once, I think is fine. I do remember dropping my phone in a lecture theatre one time, every one heard, and the lecturer probably remembered me. Cause at a later incident, she slammed the door in my face, haha. Self important, self righteous twit. Some are clearly stuck in their head.

What Guys Said 4

• If I was an instructor I would completely ban the use of cell phones for any reason with no exceptions. If someone doesn't want to pay attention to the lecture then fine, they can stare at the wall if they want. But the phones would have to stay off. And so would any other electronic device except maybe a computer or calculator.

• Yeah, that's fairly horrible and disrespectful thing to do to the professor while he's lecturing. Whoever told you that is right.

• It is disrespectful to the professor

• This girl should mind her own business.

People who text in class are usually the ones who have done all the readings beforehand and knows everything anyway.

What Girls Said 5

• Well, basic student conduct would say it's wrong in that it's disrespectful and distracting to other people. I wouldn't go as far as to say you shouldn't be in school, but texting in class implies you're not taking the class as seriously as you could. The only person it really ends up hurting is yourself, since it's your investment. You get out of it what you put into it. It's up to you.

• I don't in a lecture.

I just think it's disrespectful. So unless it's something imperative, I'll wait until it's over. Or if it's something like an all day seminar and I get a call or message or something that seems important I'll ask to be excused for a minute or two to get back to them; but otherwise I can just wait until after.

I'd feel rude doing it, especially seen as on my course we have so many guest speakers.

• I always did and read books during class. But I was also a high c average student... I rarely did this in classes for my major though. Generally in just pre req's or electives. Also I was on student loans so to that chick I say "I can do whatever the hell I want with my own money".

• The cost of going to my uni for one year is $60,000

Professors of mine have brought this up. They say "I always tell my students that by not coming to class/skipping/failing, they're wasting money. But then I remember that most students here have that much to throw away" because it's true

I think it's disrespectful, in my opinion. I've noticed that the ones who text constantly are the ones who obviously aren't cut out for school...bad grades, begging the professor to pass them at the end of the semester, failing tests and whatnot. Most aren't paying attention, is the thing

• It pisses the teacher off . Its annoying to everyone else.