Big Salary Difference: Who pays for the date?

We've all seen (& gotten horribly tired of) the "Who should pay on a date" question. I'd like to try a little twist...

Say you've got Person A and Person B and they go on a date together. If Person A makes SIGNIFICANTLY more money than Person B (either because they've got a really good job, or they won the lotto, or they come from a rich family, being in different life stages, etc) who do you think should pay for the date?

Aspects to consider:

- Who asked?

- Type of date

- Gender roles (modern)

- How big is the annual salary difference

- Splitting the cost/who buys what

- Anything else you can come up with.

Note: For this question, a "significant" salary difference can be anything from $20-30,000+ more per year to Person A making/having several times Person B's annual salary. Feel free to specify any difference within that range in your answer.

Most Helpful Girl

• If I like a guy, I let the guy pay the first time. I would tell him I got him next time.

Where as if I didn't like a guy, I would just split the bill that way, I know that I don't have to go out with him again (no need to feel like I owed him).

What Guys Said 6

• The guy should offer to pay for it, if she wants, she can demand to split it, but he should always offer to pay,x

• I don't care if she's a millionaire, I'm paying.

If she really persists she can pay half, or for the next date.

• I should pay for the woman, because that's what a gentleman does. But have you seen Asian culture? Everybody "fights" over the bill. Asians try to not accept it when other people try to pay the bills, but eventually do reach a decision.

• Just split in half - embrace the equality, you date someone for who they are, for a potential relationship, you don't date someone to get free food

• I pay for the date. I refused to be any woman's gigolo.

• if I have money enough on me tht time to pay, I pay...

What Girls Said 8

• A lot of my friends make less than me, so I don't mind paying for some of their things if we swing by the store or are out to the movies...on dates, I try to pay at least some but usually get pestered by my date to not pay anything so I just let him cover it..though I have been known to slip cash into their coat pockets because I feel bad that someone spent money on me.

• Normally, it's the guy who pays (gender roles) and all the more if he earns more than the female does but in cases where the woman is paid more at work, then she may as well pays not unless they are still on the wooing stage and the guy has to at least exert effort and pay. If that's the case, then the guy can set a budget for it or they can go out during pay day. Who asked does matter also and normally, he or she who asked out will have to pay but in some cases, even if the female date indirectly asked such as through suggestive remarks, the guy will still pay (gender roles). But in today's age, both parties will have to shell out. It doesn't have to be split in half but it can be divided such as the guy can buy tickets (for a movie date) while the girl can buy popcorn and drinks, and so on.

• Why are you people so obsessed with money?!

Who asks the other on the date pays unless offered or agreed otherwise. Just flee the restaurant for all I care. In god's name why all the analysis over something so trivial?!

PS.There are no modern gender roles. There are gender roles and there is a modern society.

• If it's the first date, then the person who asked pays. If it's been multiple dates then it doesn't really matter. Whoever wants to pay should pay or they should just go dutch. Salary shouldn't come into play at all.

• if he is rich and I'm not and we are just on the dating stage, I will always recommend that we go to a place that I can pay half, right on my budget and this is regardless who ask who. if I said yes to a date that means I'm willing to pay half of the expenses. now, if he insists to go to a very expensive place he can go alone.

• I think the one who asked for a date should pay .

But if someone ask me for a date I would feel uncomfortable or ashamed if he pays for me ... I would pay half .

• It's usually men

• I make more money than the guy I'm dating and he still pays 95% of the time. We were both raised with traditional gender roles. I really don't discuss money with him, I don't tell him how much I make but I know I make more than him because I recently got a raise and I get more hours than he does.