Should you continue texting someone even when they don't reply?

I'm currently in a relationship with a guy who has been diagnosed with severe depression. We have been dating for a year now. We text almost everyday but understandably, there are certain days when I text and do not get a response from him due to his mood swings. However, recently he has questioned me on why I do not text him further on those days. When I told him that it is because I do not get any response from him on those days, he said that I should continue texting him even when he doesn't reply. I don't quite see a point of constantly texting someone when there are no replies...but what would you do if you were in my position?

Most Helpful Guy

• Unfortunately I was diagnosed with many mental health issues including severe -_-

Everyone copes with it differently and many have contrasting views on small things such as texting. If I were in his shoes, I'd adore the girl I love to continuously text me when I am down. It helps remind me that I have something good in this world and offers a route of distraction from all the negative thoughts spiralling in our minds.

Continuing to text him shows that you care about him and will be there for him, even when he is having a rough patch. Hopefully one day that depression fades away and you both can enjoy a happy life together.

I wish you both the best, message me if you ever need me.

-MashDown5

What Guys Said 2

• The fact that he says you should continually text him means he wants attention and wants to use you to make him feel "needed" and that is childish in my opinion. Next thing you know he will tell you on a different mood swing that you are clingy when he told you to continually text him.

• I would still text him. Though I wouldn't count much on it.

I would rather spend more time with that guy in person.

What Girls Said 1

• No, it takes two to make a conversation. What does babbling on and on to him accomplish in a series of short texts accomplish? It's ridiculous.

If this is his depression talking, perhaps he would like long emails? But even then it shouldn't be some requirement. Someone with severe depression shouldn't be in a relationship IMO, and I am talking from my personal experience with depression... :/