Would you quit smoking for someone you're dating?

Say you start dating someone to whom smoking is a deal breaker, would you quit for them?

• Yes
  • No
  • I don't smoke/see results
Just to clarify: I don't smoke I just met a girl who is nearly everything I wanted except for the cigarettes which would normally be a deal breaker.. Having just met I'm in no position to ask her to stop so I can only hope that she'll be willing to quit if we progress.

To those saying it's her choice I liken it to nose picking. Yes it's a choice but that doesn't mean I can't find it a turn off. If you started dating a chronic nose picker you'd probably hope they'd break that habit...

Most Helpful Guy

• If someone won't do that for you, they don't care about you, not even a little..!

So you're not really in a relationship until you are sacrificing something for the other person.That's fundamental, right?

And for crying out loud, you're 'sacrificing' something that will shorten your life considerably!

What Girls Said 8

• I don't smoke myself, but I would never give somebody I had any sort of relationship with, boyfriend or friend or family, an ultimatum to stop smoking or lose the relationship.

I think there is should be a line where even though you're sharing your life with that other person, you can't dictate every personal decision they make.

It's fine to advise them to stop, inform them of the health and cost benefits, ask them to try quitting etc.. but to make it a deal-breaking condition is out of line IMHO. If you want to go out with that person, you have to accept them into your life the way they are.

It's more of a priniciples thing for me, as oppossed to a health thing. If your just cared about your own health, you could just ask them to not do it around you.

• I don't smoke and I think it would be pretty dumb to believe someone who says they will quit for you. Even if they actually do, they won't stay away from it forever.

• I smoke.
    I wouldn't stop smoking for someone Im dating no. But if my boyfriend really where bothered from it, then yes of course I would stop.

• I don't smoke, but I imagine it's a super tough habit to break. :/

• I don't smoke but don't change unless in a relationship or only to benefit yourself =)

• i don't smoke but if my other half smoke I do not mind. he is old enough to know the cons of smoking

• I don't smoke and I never plan on smoking, but if I started dating someone that smoked it would be a serious deal breaker for me. I wouldn't continue to see him if he kept smoking, but I wouldn't tell him he had to quit. It's ultimately his choice.

I would understand if they didn't want to quit for me.

• if I really saw a future with that person yes but I don't smoke because it's bad for you and I know guys hate it and I don't want to become addicted to something that will age me and ruin my health so I stay away.

What Guys Said 11

• I'm not a smoker, never used tobacco before (because my parents were smoking 1.5-2 packs a day when I was younger. I know how nasty it is).

I wouldn't be able to be around her if she's a smoker.. I just can't stand the smell and the smoke itself makes my eyes and throat itch like hell.

She would have to stop in order to be together with me, not solely because of health reasons but like I said, it affects me too in some way(s).

• I never smoked but voted yes anyway. well mainly because I chew lol. my habit only started for fishing openers. but this season progressed into an everyday habit. but when I met my sweetheart a couple months ago I never did it around her and had since quit for her us and respect for her kissing a mouth full of dirt lol

• well don't smoke, but I wouldn't date a smoker, so they better quit. I know I have my faults, but if they are doing something stupid like smoking which does nothing for you, then they should stop. I've heard girls do it to stay skinny, somehow smoking does that (at least I've heard that), but no smoking in a date or partner for me

• I wouldn't want to quit completely unless I really thought the girl is "the one" for me and even then I would want to have the permission to have a cigar or smoke a pipe on special occasions.

• Yes, relationships are good and not smoking is good. So having a girlfriend who hates smoking may be the best thing for you.

• Quit its for the better smoking is a bad gross habit, now kush on the other hand don't quit that.

• I don't smoke but I accidentally clicked yes D:

• Heck no, I only quit for one person, myself

• Lol smoking is first of all disgusting. That's not debatable. Secondly, just sneak this into a conversation sometime "I can't believe you smoke, smoking is so 90s." and act like she's a loser. If she gets mad she probably won't quit, if she plays along there is a chance she'll be open to it. Or she might give you a serious reason why she smokes, which then you can ask "have you ever tried to quit?"

• I did and I still feel murderous

• i would do anything for a girl to be attracted to me