Dating someone older/younger?

If you were a parent, and you found out that your son was dating someone 8-9 years younger, how would you react?

Similarly, if you were a parent and your daughter told you that she was seeing a guy 8-9 years older, what would you say?

Would you agree or disagree with the relationship? Would you try to do anything about it? If you disagreed, would you tell your daughter/son about your opinions?

Poll Question: If you were a parent, would you approve of a relationship with such a big age gap?

I welcome all responses. :)

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends. If they were like 20 and the girl/boy was 12/11? F***ing no. Gonna slap sense into them. If the person they are dating is at least 20-22 range or older, than I have no problem. See, I don't care about the age difference. That number is really REALLY stupid to care about. But the age itself? That does matter. That is, if they are too young they won't be mature enough to have a serious and good relationship. I've found that most aren't ready until mid/late college or after. So that's why I say 20-22 range.

What Guys Said 3

• It all depends on how old they are, once the youngest of the relationship is a year or two into college I see nothing wrong with it. Also it depends on the person's motives... lets say I had a daughter who was 20 and dating someone 29 who basically is just trying to live like Charlie Sheen and be with as young of a woman as possible.. hell no.

• it be OK as long is the girl isn't young than like 17 as anything younger could be illegal . and if the girl was like 19 and in college I don't see it being a be deal to date an older guy if she's even old enough to start going to the bar . but usually you don't see a lot of girls dating guys that much older anyways it does happen but not super common

• I would just let my son/daughter choose whom they deem is best for them.

What Girls Said 4

• There's 7 years between my fiance and I so in general I would have no issue with it. But it does come down to where they are in life, not specifically their ages.

• I wouldn't mind, just as long as he loved her and wasn't using him/her and wasn't taking any kind of advantage of her.

• Age is just a number. its a matter of maturity .

• 15 years between me and an ex and it ruined me so I wouldn't allow it