What's the appropriate way to kiss your daughter/son?

Growing up with just my dad he used to just give me kisses on the cheek. He didn't do it a lot because we were guys but he did it out of love. If I ever have a daughter or son I don't want them to feel weird if I kissed them on the lips, I don't know if I should avoid that or not. I never really thought about it because my dad never did it to me and I was okay with that, but it's important to give kisses to your kids but I just wanna know how you guys used to be kissed as kids?

Most Helpful Girl

• My parents never kissed me as a child. I'm not kissing my kids. Heck, my family never even hugged me as a kid. I'm not sure if I'll hug my kids either. I find personal contact like that extremely weird. Maybe you could kiss your kid on the forehead or something?

• I think you should. It's good to show emotion to your children there's nothing wrong about that.

• It's not how I was raised. I don't even particularly want children, but hey. Who knows what'll happen. But I'm not kissing 'em on the mouth. Icky :p

What Girls Said 5

• Not. My parents didn't kiss me, we don't even hug or anything. They used to "bless" me when I went to sleep with a kiss on my forehead. But I would kiss my kids on the cheek. I don't really know people who kiss their kids on the lips or who were kissed on the lips by their parents. Fact is, if a mom does it with her daughter that's cute, but if a dad does that with his daughter, you'll always have people who look too much into it...

• Yea that's what I thought. I don't mean a like long drawn out kiss but I did think it would be thought as being kinda weird

• I don't think there's anything wrong with parents kissing their baby or toddler on the lips, girl or boy. It's just a way to show love and affection. You can give kisses on the cheek, forehead, hair, temple, etc. too. My parents were pretty free with kisses, and as I grew up they were on my cheek or temple.

• I think parents shouldn't really kiss kids on the lips once they turn 9, especially if it is a dad kissing a daughter. That just strikes me as a little gross personally, though I know culturally this is fine in some places. I just think it's a little gross. I think kisses on the cheek and hugs are totally fine though, and good. Also, I think kisses on the forehead are acceptable too. Both my parents gave me hugs and sometimes kisses on the cheek, but never on the lips when I got to a certain age, which is what I'll do for my kids.

• I kiss my girls on the lips, my ex kisses our girls on the check. My mom use to kiss me on the lips when I was young but as I got older she would kiss my checks. I think you have to do what is best for you and your potential future children.

• I think it's fine for parents to kiss their kids on the lips. Parents should feel comfortable being affectionate with their children - kissing, hugging, cuddling.

What Guys Said 0