What should I do on my first date with this girl?

There is that one girl who likes me a lot and who thinks that I'm a good looking guy. She even asked my friend to hook me up with her. However, I'm a really shy person around girls I like, and I don't really know how to keep a conversation going.

The thing is that We hung out a few times but never really had long conversations which didn't give me the chance to know about her likes/dislikes.

I'm a foreign student here in the US and my English isn't that great which makes me more nervous.

Given the circumstances, where should I take her? What kind of conversations should I try to initiate? How long should a date be? And in case of long awkward silences, what should I do?

What Girls Said 2

• Location: Well, dinner and a movie is a go-to date for a reason. ;) Since you don't know her movie preferences, perhaps it's best if you just stick with dinner. You can pick out a neutral chain restaurant like Olive Garden or the Spaghetti Factory that tend to have a little bit of everything on the menu. Themed restaurants (such as Greek or Indian) are typically a bad idea unless you know ahead of time that the person likes the food.

Conversation: Get to know her! :) Since you don't really know that much about her, you can ask her things like "what do you do in your spare time", "what's your favorite movie", "when's your birthday", "what's your favorite band", etc. and try to create a conversation from there. Oh, and try not to ask her all these questions in succession! They are merely starting points. It's not an interview! Here's an example of a simple question leading to a good conversation:

You: "So, what do you do in your spare time?"

Her: "I like scuba diving, knitting, and fashion blogs."

You: "Oh, that's cool! What do you like most about scuba diving?"

Her: "I just love the view! And observing animals in their natural habitat. It's quite thrilling."

You: "I can imagine. Would you ever consider a career in marine biology or something like that?"

Her: "Yes! In fact, I'm currently working towards that. So, what do you like to do?"

You: "Oh, I enjoy rock climbing! I used to have a fear of heights, but rock climbing helped me push past it."

Her: "Oh, no kidding? Me too!"

...and so on. :)

WITH THAT SAID, not every conversation can flow so effortlessly as the one above, so there might be awkward pauses. When you have awkward pauses, some clever observational humor (if you're good at it) might do the trick. If not, you can try to bond with her over the awkwardness of the situation, or you can say "wanna hear the corniest joke ever?" and then let 'er rip! If the awkwardness persists despite your best efforts, let it go. You gave it all you could, but it takes *two* people to keep a conversation going. Not one.

Time: If you two can agree on a time to end it, that might work best. Otherwise, the date ends when the dinner does and the check comes. Good luck! :) And don't beat yourself up if it doesn't go over well at first!

• Honestly, I don't know, either.. But maybe try to talk about her interests, what she's into and what she thinks about life..? And if her answer is near yours then maybe you have something in common and that's a good thing. If its far, then don't tell her about your answers, unless if she insists... That's only my opinion, I don't know if its correct either..

What Guys Said 0