Are single people who date married people more likely to cheat?

Are people who date or sleep with married people more likely to cheat when they get into a relationship?

My thoughts, yes, they are. It's makes no difference to them if they are the cheater or the other woman/man.

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't know.

On one hand, logic follows that if they're willing to be the third party, then they don't have a problem with cheating.

But on the other hand, I've seen situations like this, and most often the cheater has worked on the third person to such an extent that they feel that the cheating is somehow justified. Their relationship is horrible, their partner treats them like sh*t, never wants to have sex, maybe they're "seperated" or "getting divorced" - the cheater often lies through his/her teeth to convince the third person that the relationship is all but finished - and that's rarely ever the case.

So honestly, I think someone can be the third party and still think cheating is wrong, but they can also be "convinced" that it's not really cheating, because the relationship is done for anyway.

• Also, in case I didn't make it clear, it's still not justifiable for the third-party to be accepting of the fact that they're in a relationship with a cheater, it's just easy for people to convince themselves that a wrong thing is a right thing when they want it badly enough.

• But if they can be "convinced" cheating is okay then, surely, someone can convince them to cheat while they are in a relationship.

• Although that's possible, I don't think it's automatically true.

It's not quite as easy for someone to convince you that things are over with your SO as it is for them to convince you that things are over with theirs.

You know, intimately the true condition of your own relationship. Becoming a cheater means choosing to lie to yourself and your SO, not simply accepting lies that are told by others.

What Girls Said 3

• Yeah I would think so. It's not a definite but it does seem more likely. Dating someone who's marriage or in a relationship shows a lack of respect for those boundaries. If they won't respect someone else's relationship boundaries then I think there's a good chance they wouldn't respect the boundaries of their own relationship too.

Personally, I wouldn't ever date someone if I knew they were in some sort of relationship. And I know I wouldn't cheat in my own relationship either.

• If they are unaware their partner is married (e.g. a married man tells a woman he is single/divorced and she sleeps with him), then absolutely not, and shame on the lying married person.

If they know, going in, that the other person is married, then I would say it's likely that they believe they are the "exception" and do not respect marriage, or other relationships in general. So, it's likely they will cheat themselves.

• If it doesn't bother them to date someone who's cheating on their wife/husband then I would think that they are less likely to care about cheating on their partner in their relationship.

What Guys Said 4

• lol @ the people assuming the mistress/mistresser would cheat as well. it's such a faulty correlation and has no moral implication. Don't assume all marital situations are the exact same.

I've dated a married woman before and I've never cheated on her or anyone else and don't intend to ever cheat.

• If you had said direct connection, I would agree with you, but correlation, I wouldn't be so fast to make that decision until I see a broader range of data. Keep in mind, the cheating rate for men and women is around 50%, so it's not like this is uncommon.

• Actually that couldn't be further from the truth. I have been with married women being the other guy in the relationship though I have NEVER cheated on my partners.

Though I might be leery of dating/marrying the person who cheated because what goes around comes around.

• I think what you mean to say is it couldn't be further for you and I'll take you at face value on that, but statistically speaking, I think the odds are greatly in favor of them cheating because they don't have any respect for relationships. I wonder if there have been studies on this?

• I cannot speak about the morals of others. But aren't our opinions based on our own experiences?

• I agree. A person who would be willing to have an affair with a married person has no integrity. Anyone who is lacking integrity is automatically disqualified in my book.

• Wow this even hypothetically a horrible thing, but yeah of course they are more likely to cheat if they are already part of someone else cheating. Morals are all f***ed up.