Do your parents accept you date outside your race?

What would they say if you date outside your race, do you date within your race?

Most Helpful Girl

• No, my father doesn't like the idea of me dating outside my race (well, his race)... He flipped out once when I told him black guys can be attractive and well mannered.. He looked like he was going to have a heart attack.

White guys, he doesn't mind as much but would prefer me dating an Asian guy. Which he knows WON'T happen...

Funny thing is, the majority of his friends are white and black.

My mother on the other hand, same thing when it comes to black guys.. Doesn't want me too..

She would have a heart attack if she knew I had sex with a black guy. Let alone dating one.

What Girls Said 14

• I just asked a simular question about dating outside your race.. lol but to answer your question my family is one big MIXED family, so it's okay in my family. I'm Black and Mexican and I've dated outside my race and now I'm currently eyeing hot white guys lol, but I'm not attracted to Black guys Mexican's or Asian's since I've been with a black guy and a Asian and I used to talk to a Mexican.. So for me it's kinda like "Been there done that" hahaha

• Yeah, I don't think they'd mind. Extended family is another story...

It doesn't matter though, I date who I want to date.

• I don't think they care. And If they did, too bad. I don't let other people dictate who I'm going to like or dislike, date or not date. Especially since good guys are hard to find nowadays. If I was happy with a nonMexican, I wouldn't break up with him because someone wasn't OK with it. As long as I like him, its all that matters.

• One time my mum said it would be better if he was at least partially black, but ever since I've dropped hint's that may not be the case they've basically just said they want me to be happy. I don't really care what they think race wise. They could justify a dislike for his behavior or personality though, that'd be something to take into account. As for extended (outside of my immediate) family, nothing to be said for them, I couldn't care less.

• I almost always do, so it's not a big deal. A lot of my family members have married/dated interracially, so it's really not something we think much about.

There are some weird issues with Muslims and tamils (I'm Sri Lankan, and there is cultural tension there), but I doubt my parents would object to any guy that treats me well.

• they probably wouldn't like it and it never really crossed my mind that I would date outside my race cause it is too complicated but right now I would love to date a white guy shucks! ;)

• Until my current boyfriend, I have always dated outside of my race. My parents/family have never had a problem with it as long as he is a good guy.

• My mom has already told me:

"Don't bring home a wetback, dark skinned black guy, chinito, indigenous beaner, Mexican, Jew or Muslim"

I'd never marry a Mexican guy though. They treat their women like sh*t and for some reason they have low standards and lack life goals and are OK with living in poverty.

I'm Hispanic though, so, I mean, I've seen it firsthand how they run households and it's not something I'm into. I'm not about that life

I'm biracial and my boyfriend is white...his parents don't care, my parents don't care--all is good in da hood

• No my mom wouldn't let me date outside our nationality even. My mom wants me to be with an Italian end of story.

• As a 35 year old wan, I don't tell my mom who I am dating, guy, girl, , black, white, I just go and have fun. When I was younger I only dated white guys, but as I got older I found variety Is the spice of life.

• my mom doesn't care who I am with as long as I am in a good loving relationship.

• as long as the guy is good to me , I believe my parents wouldn't mind

• I really like black boys, if my parents knew they woud kill me

• its silly that they would do that.

• I know. Its not only with black. They just want me to be with someone of my country. But I am not gonna do that :D my life, my choices

• They do. It's my choice so none of their business to make a judement on.

What Guys Said 10

• My parents have been very supportive of my dating choices, being that both come from mixed backgrounds themselves (Black/Cherokee/Chickasaw). Generally, if one or the other disapproved of the woman I was dating, it was because of some sort of flaw they saw in her character, but not her race.

In terms of extended family, they too have been supportive and while I do prefer for my family to be accepting of her as a person, whether they choose to or not has no bearing on my decision. I do value their opinion of her character, but certainly not because of her race.

A fortunate situation for me is the fact that even the woman I have been with for the past eight years have been very embracing of me and my family and very supportive of us as a couple. In all fairness I did have a little cause for concern since she is Asian, but I was welcomed with open arms and she playfully gets a little jealous, telling me that I stole her parents, because quite often when they call, they will talk to me longer than they talk to her.

• CORRECTION: A fortunate situation for me is the fact that even the family of the woman I have been with for the past eight years have been very embracing of me and my family and very supportive of us as a couple.

• I'm Chinese, and not just my parents, but probably my whole community would not like it. It isn't about being racist. It's about being traditional. That being said, I've never asked.

I think it would be fine if I was with a white, Hispanic, or European girl. I don't know.

It has nothing to do with my parents dictating anything. Who are people to judge me for being respectful and regarding my parents wishes? They don't understand. Besides, it would be very difficult if I had a split with my parents, because we're supposed to respect our parents, not get far away from them.

• As far as I know, they are fine with it. I don't really talk about my relationships with my parents all that much and I wouldn't care if they disproved either. I've dated outside my race a number of times, and they've never said anything negative about my relationships to my face. They've always given me positive reinforcement on girls who I really liked and whom seemed to make me happy, all the while knowing they were Latina or middle eastern. They also seemed fine with it when my older brother dated an Asian girl for over 2 years. I never heard any negative talk about his relationship behind his back. My younger brother has only dated white girls but he claims to be most attracted to Asian girls and my parents seem OK with the idea. So from my experience, and observations of their reaction to all of our relationships over the years I'd think they are fine with it. Neither of my brothers or I have ever brought a black girl home to mom, so I don't know if their reaction would be different. I just don't have the experience to say either way on that one.

• My mom would have a problem with me dating Asian women, and I think they are attractive as hell, and I still would be with an Asian woman regardless if I fell for one, and my dad would have an issue with me bringing home Asian/black. Would I care what either of them think. F***no.

• Of course! They would accept anybody I bring home if they were a good person. I would never exclude people over race I think it's so silly.

• I must say, after reading a few of the responses, I do feel a little sorry for some users on here. The idea of letting your parents dictate the parameters of your dating life is kinda absurd to me. You owe them something for bringing you into the world, but you aren't an indentured servant...

Anyways, my parents don't have a problem with it. But even if they did, I really would care. It's not for them to decide

• Yes, they do. I don't have any racial preferences regarding dating but just the preference of beauty.

• If assume they wouldn't care

• My parents shouldn't care. My grandparents might not be happy though. It's my decision though. It's better that I pick someone who is a different race, but "Right" for me, and be happy than be with someone of my own race, but not right for me. They should be able to understand that.

• I have dated outside of my race.

And regardless of if my parents were against it for whatever reason or didn't care, I do not care what my parents think of her. Of course I'm not close to my parents but even if I was, they're not the ones dating her and their preferences don't matter to me in who I date.