Have you ever been rejected from a potential love interest because of you age?

I went on a date with a really cute guy who has been persuing me for a little while.Anyway,I figured he was a bit younger than me,but I couldn't tell how young.The date was going okay,although there were things he said that I thought were odd,immature whatever.I made one comment about when a music video came out.He asked me how old I was,and I was HONEST as opposed to lying about it.My birthday JUST passed,and I'm 29...he happens to be 24.I didn't want to lie about it,because that's just bad form.BUT...the consequence of me telling the truth was almost immediate disinterest.We had fun on the date,and suddenly he had nothing to say.We called for the bill,and that was it.

I understand people have their own preferences...but WTF?So its okay for men to date a 24 year old and be 29,but if a woman does it is bad?Or they are considered old?Are you kidding me? Also,he persued me I'm sure because I STILL LOOK 24/25...so wtf? I could understand if I was aging terribly or if I was some rigid kind of chick approaching 30,but that's not the case.Most people think I'm younger because I don't come off as...BITTER.

This is the first time this has happened,and I was caught a little off guard,and it did hurt my feelings a bit...but I'm aware I must get over it.But has this ever happened to you?Girls AND boys feel free to answer...

Most Helpful Guy

• Girls in general want guys who are older then them, and as a result they shut out a lot of guys their own age or younger. I'm sure he knows this, and as such it's dancing around in the back of his mind that you might not be worth the investment of time, because more then likely you'll shut him out to in time. He might figure down the road you'll want a more serious commitments then he's ready to give at this point in his life, or that you will judge him on where he's at in life as not good enough. Something about the age difference dissuaded him from moving forward. It's not necessarily that he just thinks you're an old hag or whatever.

That said girls judge guys on their age and life standing all the time, so don't get on a it's OK for guys but not for girls rant. =P Guys get judge either way. If they are the same age or younger then they are "immature" and "not established" so they considered immature little boys, poor, they have commitment issues, or some other excuse the girl uses to not take him seriously. When he's older and dating younger women, then girls judge him again and call him a pedo/cradle robber, player that uses naive women/womanizer, failure because he can't get someone his own age, or whatever criticism is the topic of the hour. There will always be a group of girls that judge men like a mofo siting on the sidelines while we get with women who accept us for who we are and love us. =P

• I already know where he is in life,what he is doing etc...and I wasn't judging him for it.I already know about who judges who because x,y,z blah,blah,blah.My post isn't a rant,more of a realization.Everything I told him I had experienced,and everything I have aquired in life was fine...until I said my age.Secondly,he is doing well for himself in some ways for instance with his modeling career.But whatever.He just wasn't for me if he is to make a big deal about a number.

What Guys Said 7

• You're obviously rare because most women can't stand the idea of men being younger than them.

I look young and am apparently very appealing to much younger girls (teens). Me being 23, there's obviously a big problem there. Girls my age or older tend to not express those schoolgirl mannerisms because they are sooooooo mature.

• that's stupid. I have dated older girls before. your not old.. and you don't look old. even though I have never seen you. no one in their 20's looks old

• I agree.Most 20 somethings don't look old.I just thought it was quite stupid if you like what that person looks like physically,and if you like their personality,who gives two craps if they are 5 years older?Its not like I'm 20 years older.I just found it really offensive and dismissive...a little hurtful for sure though.Well,on to the next one eh?

• in my experience older girls won't date younger guys.

• Yeah,I think its because of the sterotypes out there of what girls and guys SHOULD do.Meh...

• I love older women.

• Would you have dated that guy tho? him being 5 years younger?

• Yeah,I don't think it was meant to work out anyway with his offensive language,but it was still a learning experience.Ahhhh...whatever.

• haha, at least you saw the red flags.

• It obviously mattered to him and rightly so at times.

• Most women by the time they are hitting 30, kids starts to be a pressing matter. No saying you specifically but if he thought to himself "She's getting around that age where in the next couple years she's going to be thinking kids, I'll only be what, 26, 27?" And that might make him a bit hesitant.

I tend to be interested in women my age or older. I'm not against dating younger but most of the time I find I get along well with people older than me. I grew up with a sister 3 1/2 years older, hung around her and her friends often. I'm 23, going on 24 in a couple months and most my friends are 26-28. So I guess that's just my preference. But even I would start to wonder if the woman was at a different stage of her life. Being on the same page is way more important than how old they are. Maybe he felt that way.

Or maybe he's just shallow. He might be thinking you're already past your prime and as time goes on your looks are going to drop off. If that's the case, he did you a favor.

• girls age faster so he might just be afraid that he'll be disinterested with you in time..tats what I feel too personally..but if it was love it won't matter so I guess he might not be in love with you

• I don't think that's true at all...especially for women of color.Women who have more melanin in teir skin age much slower than someone who has no melanin.SO...that's not really true.If you notice most anti aging ads are directed towards women who are pale...not women who are darker.I'm just saying...but you are entitled to your own opinion.Also,I have already stated that even though,I'm 29,I STILL look 24/25.Pinhole in your theory...

• Some guys just considers age as a big determining factor.

What Girls Said 0