Would you date someone if it appears you have cultural / religious differences?

Lets say someone approaches you respectfully ( not in a sleazy or douchy manner ) ..he is decent , well dressed ,average looking guy he looks like from a different country / culture . It could be also that he has a different faith.

Would these issues prevent you from going on a first date with him ? or would be it interesting/ exotic for you to get to know him ?

Basically would you give hi a chance to get to know him or are these issues an instant deal breaker?

Most Helpful Guy

• Let's just assume you used a she in your description, because you forgot to mention whether or not a guy would do this. Let's just assume for a second that I knew a girl's religious and cultural background, because appearances do not determine these things. Let's also assume that it isn't someone that I hardly know, because it takes a long time to get to know as much as possible of a person.

I might be able to go on a date with a girl that is that different, but for a long term relationship, that would probably not make me want to date in the first place. But if I did, it would be almost impossible to settle down because any kid that we have will have a hard time learning exactly what I want him or her to learn. If one parent teaches a kid one thing, and the other parent teaches the kid something completely opposite, then the kid gets very confused.

Cultural differences are difficult to work with, but not impossible. Religious differences, even more so. If I don't believe in abortion and my future wife/girlfriend does, or if I don't believe in euthanasia and she does, it is very hard to agree on certain issues.

• If I was with a girl with a different background, it would be difficult to talk about some things. If we got along, I guess it would be okay.

Btw, your question was about people in general, and then your description was about women only.

• No problem. I think you mean well. Guys also go through these problems too.

• When you have kids, it's really important to have the same view, IMO, so I totally understand this.

What Girls Said 32

• It's definitely not an immediate deal breaker. I would certainly give it a chance. After dating for a little while we would find out whether the differences would be a problem for us or not.

• Thank you .. this gives me hope. I have been avoiding approaching women because of being my being uber self conscious about this. Have a happy life full of love my lady .

• Thank you, you too! And, don't worry. In dating, you can't nor try for fear of failure. Not every woman you approach will be your soul mate. But there's nothing wrong with that! Keep trying and you will find the right person.

• depends on the culture.

But more than likely not. I wouldn't want EVERYTHING we did to be a compromise or a struggle between us. I'm sure that would get old fast.

And what about children, and roles in the relationship? I'm not going to be anyone's "submissive" wife, that is what maids and sex workers are for. What about kids?What are they going to be taught?

I'd rather not deal with that headache.

• Depends. If the person did not allow for compromise, it could be a problem. I always think about how things will turn out in the long run. If I married the person, would they accept my viewpoints? Would they try to enforce a certain teaching on the kids, rather than encouraging them to be open-minded? So it pretty much comes down to how much I like the person, how much I respect them, their level of compromise, etc.

• That is pretty fair . Thanks

• If he was incredible, who cares what religion he worships?! It's about the life you will live with him. If he is overally obsessive with his religion, however, or tries to make me become it, that is a big turn off.

• cultural differences I find interesting. Religious differences I couldn't date someone that doesn't share my same faith, it's so important for me to be able to talk about what I believe together with someone I care about it creates a bond on a spiritual level, besides the physical and emotional bond.

This being said I'd still would be happy to be friends(:

• It wouldn't stop me... time will tell. But I wouldn't rule someone out on that basis alone, especially if he were respectful of *my* religion.

• I think this is pretty fair. Thanks for your input

• if I'm attracted to him..i don't care if he's a short caveman

• Of course. Differences make things more interesting. So long as he doesn't push his beliefs/customs on me, I don't see why it couldn't work.

• I could be friends with him, but I couldn't date/marry someone who didn't share my faith. I'm the girl who goes to church every Sunday, teaches Sunday school in the mornings, and leads the youth group on Sunday nights. It's a big part of my life; like other big parts of my life, I want a guy who would enjoy sharing that with me.

• If it was a religion that if we were to be something I would have to change my lifestyle, probably not. I wouldn't want to change myself for a man.

• Ofcourse you shouldn't

• i would say yes unless I new his faith wouldn't allow him to ever marry me so if that no becuse there clrealy would be a future but the other factors would not be an issue at all

• i would give any1 a chance but when it comes to religion and culture I would not date any1 with an extremely different cultural belief. I can be friends and I would talk to them but because I only date people who I would consider marrying I most likely not date that person because it would be a waste of time for the both of us.

I would also like to state that I have friends of many backgrounds and my bff is Syrian so I am not a racist of any kind I just feel that it wouldn't work between me and that person because their beliefs would be so different than mine, and if we had kids I would want my kids to be raised with the same values and beliefs as myself

• Having your views doesn''t mean you are a racist or a bigot. People want different things in life . Thanks for your input.

• I would def date someone as long as we can communicate well our differences. I think its a good way to learn something new.

• Religious? Most likely no.

Cultural? It depends. We need to understand each others' cultures before even attempting to date.

• I wonder why you got down votes. They're just your views.

• Sounds like a Catch-22. (I only learned about Catch-22s around two years ago)

• Catch-22s are everywhere on GAG.

• No. In fact,my boyfriend is jewish,I am not. Doesn't matter.

• I can't date anyone that's strictly religious. It doesn't really fit my lifestyle

• Thanks for your input. Can you give examples of being strict ? wher edo you draw the line ?

• Sex after marriage, no contraception, praying every day etc. I just can't live with someone wih those beliefs

• recently I met a Muslim guy and I'm Christian. I didn't even know he was Muslim until I really started hanging out with him and his roommates and hearing them talk about their beliefs. I still liked him but one day he seen me out with my church at a celebration and he stopped by and said hi to me and after that day he doesn't talk to me anymore...i'm guessing he had no clue of my faith either until that day.

So I'd say those relationships don't work or won't last long.

• As long as we get along good .

• that sums it up nicely

• I will go out with him to have fun if I enjoy his company but no I won't date him.

Do not unequally yolk, too many problems

• date, yeah. marry? probably not

• May I ask why would you date if you are not even envisioning marriage as an option? I am just curious. Thank you

• Bit personal. Thanks

• all the best my lady

• F*** RELIGION!

• i can understand you have had a bad experience with soem religious people. In any case.. thanks for your input .. it adds spice to the topic ;)

• Religious folks annoy me to death. I could be friends with him, if he kept his nonsense to himself. We could never connect enough to be very good friends, so we would just have a shallow friendship. But I wouldn't date him.

• There are different kinds of religious people. Not all of them spout that everyone is going to hell or something. I guess that is a small percentage of religious people.

• I know. But the fact that they believe in supernatural stuff frustrates me. Ignorance and stupidity in general annoy me, so I can't be around that too often.

• They don't all believe in supernatural stuff. Either that or it isn't that supernatural once you get to know it.

I'm Buddhist, and I hear Christians talk about God, or sometimes if I give a donation to a Christian, and I'm told "God bless you", I don't mind. I respect other religious because I would also want them to respect my beliefs. Faith sometimes can bring people out of dark places in life.

I'm not trying to force religious beliefs on you or anything.

• Religious and cultural preferences are no small deal, when they differ btwn two people. I'm set in my beliefs and I would not convert or be with someone who had completely different views. As far as the culture thing goes, well I guess that depends on what culture we're talking about.

• I don't see the problem. If I liked him, I would date him for sure.

• if you really have feelings for someone than a cultural or religious difference won't mean anything. just like wwhat your friends or family say should not affect how you feel about this person.

• This would be quite difficult. Sometimes it isn't easy, especially if all or most of family or friends have something against it. That's like cutting off many relationships (not related to man/woman). Of course, this isn't always the case.

• It takes more than feelings to make a relationship work. And yes, cultural and religious differences is enough to be a deal breaker.

• Different country/culture -- yes, I've done that.

Different faith -- probably not. I like beings friends with people of a different faith, but I don't plan on converting and don't really like to perpetuate a relationship with someone with no possibility of a future.

• You mean you have no possibility because of the different faith right ?

• Yeah -- that kind of stuff generally is a big issue in a relationship. Values on how to worship, how to raise kids, how to spend/save money, etc.

• Lol definitely not.

• If I can visibly tell that he is foreign then probably not. He would have to be really really cute to override those differences, so I wouldn't go out with an average guy with different religious/cultural differences but I would if he was sexy

• all the guys I've liked/loved were a different culture and religion from me, I'm just not attracted to guys from my religion and culture. I'm a modern woman and I don't mind marrying someone different than me it makes things interesting and sexy and you have more holidays to celebrate more cuisines to explore and eat and just makes life extraordinary.

• I would, yes. And have before. I imagine things might become difficult when the relationship gets more serious, but we never got there.

• More from Girls
    2

What Guys Said 0