Is online dating a bad idea?

I'm a full time student that coupled with my other obligations (work, family etc) I never have time for going out. I'm also from a small town so its the same basic pool of guys from high school. Recently I started online dating to meet a wider array of guys. But I'm starting to feel that most of the guys online are only looking for hook ups. I've tried skout and POF (Plenty of Fish).

What are your thoughts about online dating? Do you know of any credible cites where people aren't looking to hook up.

Most Helpful Girl

• there are a lot looking for hookups. maybe try okcupid but that is hookups too. eharmony or match might be better? because people pay/more serious.

it also depends on the person.

i don't like online dating because it is a lot of hookups and the likelihood of hitting it off in person is small-person is never what you expected once you meet.

What Guys Said 2

• Not necessarily a bad idea. We're a very busy society these days. Online dating is simply a tool, though. You should always be open to meeting someone through any channels, whether in person or online.

• It's not a bad idea.

It's just that it has a low chance when you're searching for a long term relationship.

What Girls Said 2

• Yeah I actually met my ex on OK Cupid. I've also had some success with Match. I think most guys in general, especially younger guys, are looking for hookups, regardless of whether they are online or off. I think you have to just fine tune your screening process.. I think websites are a resource to meet men but shouldn't be the only way you use to meet guys

• Tried OkCupid for a few months last year. Wasn't a huge fan. I got a few dates out of it, but a lot of the guys there were looking for a hookup, and a couple were hesitant to meet in person which defeats the purpose. Plus I hated the idea of sharing so many details of myself upfront.

I think no matter how busy you are, there are many ways to meet guys whether online or offline. You just have to make the most of the free time you have, even in situations that seem unlikely. FWIW, I'm in very similar situation as you and met my boyfriend while waiting in line for some food.