Girls and fake texting

Say a girl is in a bookstore, sitting down and reading a book. A guy walks by and she takes out her phone and fake texts, then puts it away when he is gone. Is she nonverbally rejecting him? Wouldn't it be easier to just keep your eyes on the book?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think you being paranoid.

• Probably. It's something that's on my mind a lot and I take things the wrong way >_> But still, it sucks knowing she doesn't want to talk

• Lol, relax. If you like the girl then just try to talk to her. Honestly, what's the worst that can happen? Thanks for BA by the way. ;)

• I guess my self-esteem goes to sh*t for a while, lol.

0/2500

Send It!

What Girls Said 8

• Ha, its a bad habit for me, Ill pick up my cell phone and look at it no matter what I'm doing even if it was reading a book just so I don't have to make eye contact. I could be talking and walking with a friend and walk by someone annoying, a crush, an ex etc. and ill take out my phone and look at it.. lol its bad bad habit

• over thinking a bit much

• It happens to me a lot. I don't think I'm ugly, but jesus. Maybe I come across as a creep. It makes me feel really bad...:-\

• I know some girls do it to make them seem more popular. Like they have someone to text, making plans, talking to someone, ect. It just is to make them look not so available in the sense of they want to make it look like that even though they are sitting down and reading a book, they have a social life too.

• What's her facial expression? Sometime I do it when I'm nervous

• Just a flat expression. It really bothers me that I've lost a lost of weight and I guess I'm still ugly or something...

• I wouldn't say that. Because sometimes I do this because the guy is attractive or he makes me nervous. A flat expression isn't alway bad too. Sometimes girls give different facial expressions because they don't want to show their emotions.

• I suppose. I've had people tell me I look really intimidating in public :( I guess I should appear more friendly and see what happens haha

• Well, if she's looking away/turning away from you for any reason (phone/book/menu barrier), she's hiding from you and not really interested. It's the ostrich reflex (burry your head in the sand so you don't have to see the thing I don't like)...

• Sometimes I do that when I'm around people I don't know and I'm alone because I feel awkward and I'd rather look at my phone then look at them. And also if you see a girl reading, don't approach her anyway.

• I don't think all girls do that.

• It could be rejection, but I would not automatically assume it to be rejection. Yes, I will sometimes take out my phone and pretend to text in order to avoid a social situation that I'm not interested in finding myself in, BUT I also do that just when I'm nervous. Think of it as a safety blanket of sorts. Sometimes it is just to make me feel like I don't look like a loser to other people around me by appearing as though I have people getting in touch with me. And sometimes I'm just checking my phone for the sake of checking it. Even if I didn't hear it or feel it vibrate, I check my phone compulsively, even if I am doing something such as reading. If I were you, I would not automatically take it as rejection. If you the first time you approach her and try to engage her in conversation, and she continually looks down at her phone and texts/fake texts while you speak rather than putting it down for a minute or so to speak to you after you've approached her, at that point take the hint...

What Guys Said 2

• How do you even know she paid the slightest bit of attention to you? Overthinking.

• Some girls do that but I think very few do that; don't be so paranoid dude