I'm with a great guy but I still have hang ups about my ex. Anyone feel/felt the same?

My EX an I broke up after we finished our masters because we decided to pursue different things. He went for his phd while I went for a career.

This was almost a year and a half ago. Both of us were poor when we dated.

Anyways about 6 months ago I asked how he was and he told me that he would like a future with me.

I told him that I understood and thought it was best we still do not contact ech other. He lives in California while I'm here working in France.

Now I've been dating my French boyfriend for about 7 months now. I think he is in love with me. I love him too but I occasionally think about my American ex.

Anyone have hang ups about an ex? What did you do?

• Yes I still have someone in the past that I am not completely over
  • No, I don't have someone in the past that I'm not completely over
  • See answer

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes... I dated a girl for seven years worked three jobs helped her pay for college when it was my turn to go to college we broke up, because she was traveling with her new job. When we broke up her mom told me I wasn't good enough for her , because I didn't go to college. The reason I didn't go to to college is I was working three jobs to help her pay for her education. I am getting ready to graduate from college in a couple of week after busting my ass at work and school. I think about her all the time three years later. If had the chance to contact her and tell how I felt I would. I am dating another girl who I adore , but she is not my ex. If I were you I would go to where you are going to be the happiest...

• Dude it sounds to me like her moms a bitch because they is an insanely awesome thing to do to not go to college and work three jobs to pay for you gas college

• Very touching and tragic story, sorry it's happenedn man, I'm sure your kindness will pay off one day

What Guys Said 1

• You should just forget about your ex.

It's destroying your new relationship.

What Girls Said 2

• I think you should let go of the former relationship and focus on this new relationship.

• I have been there and you do get over it in time. It can take a long time.

• How long did it took you and do you truly forget?

• About a year for me. And I truly got over him. I don't forget him as it's part of my past but totally over him.