Single moms, how hard is it to date?

Questions for girls, single moms, etc

How hard is it to get a date? Or is it just tougher to find a quality guy?

Do guys turn you down for having a kid?

How is the ex situation?

Most Helpful Girl

• It's not hard to find some takers- at my age it's pretty much expected.

"Quality guys" are plentiful, it comes down to chemistry and if it's off I don't try to force it. I'm not looking for a replacement father-figure or a new husband as proof of anything, so it doesn't bother me when I date someone and it fizzles out for some reason. I don't take it personally- I don't think they guys do, either.

I have never been turned down by anyone- I mean, I have never expressed interest in a guy and had him be all "Yeeeeah... no" to me. If my having a child has been a deal-breaker, I am unaware of it. Usually my personality is enough to either win you over or else have you running off screaming into the night.

My ex-husband is a non-issue. We have been divorced for years- we don't talk much and when we do, it's about our child... and that's all. We're not friends, we don't hang out. We co-parent and co-exist. He has never dated anyone who overstepped her boundaries when it comes to the baby- his girlfriends have been fine, I'm neutral with them. The same goes for me. Our daughter has both a mother and father already- neither one of us is trying to provide her with a replacement, and we both behave in such a way that our respective partners know that and know they are expected to respect that.

My daughter is nearly 10 and of course she knows I date. I don't go out when she's with me. (Her dad and I share joint custody as set forth by state law.) I have a week with her and a week without her, so my dating/social life happens when she is with her dad. I don't bring a guy around her unless I am already thinking about keeping him. So far, I prefer to stay single so that hasn't been an issue for me... yet.

What Girls Said 7

• I have never been aware of being turned down for having kids. I still had my fair share of interests. I found it harder to have an actual relationship as I always needed to consider if they were good enough to be around my kids on a permanent basis. I think a lot of guys would want their own kids and I didn't want any more so that was another tricky thing. I also found that even if I really liked a guy I would want to take things slowly for the sake of my kids and that miffed a few guys. I also didn't like leaving my kids much either so there again another tricky thing. I think it is quite difficult yes.

• I don't personally find it hard but that could be my age because at my age it's almost expected that I would have kids.

• I'm a female but I don't have children. I apologize for writing but I just wanted to give an extra opinion. :O) I think as far as single moms go... they should consider dating single fathers so they can relate to having families and can relate to similar struggles. :O)

• I know my sister has a boyfriend with a child.

it is completely over with his ex, they're just talking about the child nothing else.

But it should not be easy..

• i am not a single mom, but one of my girlfriend is..it is hard for her to find a boyfriend..

not easy to be a single mom so I really salute those who are, for being so strong

• I think biggest issue would be does she have time to date? and can she be open to a new relationship.

• If she has a good support system than it won't be hard. My mother had my grandmother and uncle. My mom has been married for 10 years now! :) She found a wonderful man lol After 14 years my mom has started to at least say hi to my dad. She is starting to forgive him for having to leave... (his mom was dying of cancer).

• He left his wife for his sick mother?

Why couldn't she come along?

• Why do you think that?

How can putting you parents before your spouse and your own family be the right choice?

• Because of the out come and events that happened in my family

What Guys Said 4

• It’s real. A modern man doesn’t turn up his nose at a woman with some sexual experience who might have learned a trick or two from previous lovers about what men REALLY like, or more likely, she learned how to FIND OUT, but the majority of men would like to see a NEW sign on her uterus. No previous occupants. When a man picks a wife, he wants to know he won’t be competing with some random babydaddy who was there before him.

• I would date a single mom. Raising well adjusted respectful kids makes a woman a lot more attractive IMO... Course I'm older (mid 30's) so I want kids, and finding a woman who has already done a great job raising a kid just means I don't have to wonder what kind of parent she'll be.

• i couldn't see myself doing it sorry lol

• I must admit I wouldn't date a mother. And I know a lot of my friends wouldn't either.

• A good support system is a factor! I was sheltered my first year of mother hood! Then I've known single mom's that still managed to date almost every weekend. Will you get people to be interested in you? Definitely! Will they stick around when the realize how much more complicated it is. Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the guy and his maturity level. I suggested dating older guys that respect strong responsible women. 25 and up. I didn't fall in love until becoming a single mom, don't loose hope!