Saying you're dating somebody already to politely reject the person?

How likely are you to use that as an excuse not to date somebody?

• All the time, it's my go-to for rejection.
  • Likely, only if I was trying to be polite.
  • Unlikely, I'd look for some other excuse.
  • Never, I plan to crush their spirit with the truth!
  • I'm desperate and/or have no self esteem so I don't believe in rejection.

Most Helpful Girl

• I would never use that to reject someone. It usually can be seen through because eventually they are going to find out that you were lying which is 100% worse. I would tell them the truth as diplomatically as possible. I would usually say something like "It took real courage for you to tell me how you feel and to ask me out. You are going to make some girl very happy. I'm sorry, but I don't feel like I'm the right girl for you. Thank you for asking me though, it was really sweet of you!" Maybe that isn't the best way, but most of the guys and I end up being friends so I guess there are worse things to say.

What Girls Said 7

• I usually save that as a last-ditch effort.

Like backagainagain said, if you tell them the truth - that you're not interested, or whatever else - guys *usually* don't seem to take whatever excuse you give as valid, and they keep persisting... and if I'm really not interested in the guy then I just don't want to go through all of that. But I also don't want to be rude or demeaning or anything... so, I guess it depends on the situation, and how persistent he is.

• Not likely but I've used it. I only lie about that if I'm interested in someone else and I think it might head in that direction. If there is absolutely no guy in my life then I would just come up with another excuse.

• Yeah I do that a lot and hopefully they take a hint. I think it's nicer than saying your too old or not attractive to me.

• honestly, rejection hurts no matter what way you do it.

• When I was young I used it all the time.

Now, I simply saying I am not interested. It's not as effective since guys think they can change a girls mind but it's the truth.

• I would not use that as a rejection unless I actually was dating someone.

• If I say that, I actually do have a boyfriend. Lol, I picked "D" but I'm not harsh or out to crush him. I just politely say "Sorry, I'm not interested".

What Guys Said 3

• I'd never use it. Never ever ever. It is straight up wrong. It is a cop out so that the rejector can spare themselves and leave the rejected thinking that they are perfect and that the ONLY reason why their crush didn't say yes was because they were in a "relationship" with someone elese. Wsome would even wait till they rejector was "single" again

I don't like the wording of D, but that is my answer. Rejection hurts, but I reckon that the truth should hurt the least. Constructive critisism would most like make a person get over their crush quicker and will allow them to look at their negatives and improve themselves so that they can approach the next person as a better person.

• I try to be honest and open with people.

• Always tell the truth. Using an excuse is just making sh*t worse.