How many of your parents taught you about dating?

As stated. How many of you had one or two parents take you aside when you were getting to that age, and give you the run-down on dating? Talk about how to ask for numbers, good first dates, how to not get friend zoned, all that?

I'll be the first to say... nope. My dad took me to some church thing about not having sex, but never taught me about how to date successfully and me an attractive guy. (Besides the looks. But for guys, there's a lot more to it than looks.)

So, did anyone get blessed with parents kind enough to teach you about dating, or did you all have to go through the school of hard knocks, and learn through brutal experience?

See, this is a failure of so many of our parents. I mean, seriously--dating is fairly important. Yet most of our parents just assumed we'd magically figure it out.

Most Helpful Guy

• In high school, I wasn't even allowed to date. They never taught me anything about sex other than the Christian Conservative perspective (sex must be saved until marriage, otherwise the girl will get pregnant). In fact, I was barely allowed to go anywhere without my parents being there. My only social life existed during school hours where I was friends with both guys and girls. To this day, I wonder what it would have been like to try to date one of my high school female friends.

Then I came to college, where I still haven't dated. It's because of my shyness around girls I am interested in (as a friend, I have no problem talking with girls). I'm not quite sure if I should blame my parents for not giving me advice since everyone's dating style is different (or so I'm told). I'm just hoping that I can find someone in my last year of college starting in the fall.

I do wish my dad could have talked about his dating life before he met my mom. Sure, it would be awkward, but perhaps helpful. But I do not blame my parents for my lack of dating. I blame myself for that. Hey, I was able to develop my other social skills throughout my first year of college. I just don't understand the whole no dating deal that happened in high school.

What Girls Said 2

• Nope, but I didn't really need my mom's advice I guess haha. I've always been a natural flirt.

• My brother learned about dating by watching my boyfriends make mistakes haha. I began dating a few years before he did.

• My father only said to me at a young age, "You'll manage when it comes to boys, I know you can." and left it at that.

And as for my mother, she has never said anything until recent and it was, "Don't go spreading your legs for any guy." - Well, duh.

There was never a run down on anything. When I first told my mother that in health class, they were teaching how to put on a condom. My mother flipped sh*t.

I learned from friends (mistakes), personal experience, movies, and reading (those fiction teen books - They came in handy).

What Guys Said 6

• Neither for me too.

My parents divorced when I was 4.

My dad was a womanizer (3 gf's simultaneously, slept with his secretaries, etc) and never told me anything about how to actually ATTRACT women or TREAT women, really only just saying "ask them out. Ask 100 girls out, one is bound to say yes. It's the law of averages!" Seriously. That's it.

My mom only dated one other guy after the divorce and I was still young. By the time I was at dating age, she was too busy with work (10+ hour days) and raising 2 kids as a single mom, she never really showed interest in my personal life. She focused on providing me food and an education. I can't fault her for that.

So yes, I had to learn from myself and any advice friends would give, good or bad. Especially considering I moved from a small town to a big city at 23 - city girls are WAAAY different than small town girls (and I like it). Hell, I'm 28 and still learning some things...

• Nope, no conversation concerning about anything related to dating or sex. They've only asked a couple times if I have a girlfriend and that's it. I'm kind of glad the conversation has never happened because it would have been the most awkward thing to ever happen in this world.

• Lol like the rest of the guys, they didn't me anything.

• They didn't say a word about it

• That never happened to me. They just taught me to be nice with girls.

• My parents taught me, by example, how to have a dysfunctional marriage.

Also, my father ranted against marriage, gays, 'sluts' and women in general, though weirdly he was entirely happy for my school to teach me sex education.

Also, my mother ranted against marriage and men.

I learned about sex and dating through my own experience, Hollywood romance films and rom-coms, p*rn and pick-up experts. So I'm an odd mix of gentleman and jerk, bad boy and nice guy. My love/sex life isn't bad though. It could be much worse, lol.