Are dating sites only for losers?

I'm a 27 year old man, who has never been in a relationship before because I was too involved in building my career and had no time for relationships. Its beginning to get a bit lonely, so I guess it would help my cause if I can find someone to date. The problem is, I have absolutely no female friends or even female acquaintances. And I just can't approach a woman I hardly know and ask her out, because that would really creep her out. So, I'm considering the option of online dating. But most people only say negative stuff about dating sites. They say that dating sites are only used by losers who are unable to find a partner through conventional means, and the people on those sites are just leftovers whom nobody would be willing to date. And also it seems that dating sites have a really skewed male-female ratio, like 100 males per one female, and so men hardly get any responses from women. So are all these things true? I'd prefer answers from those who have actually had reasonable success through dating sites, but of course I welcome answers from everyone. Please help me out regarding this. Thank you.

P.S. Just some additional info. I may not be the best looking person, but I'm certainly way above average. Most people say I'm kinda cute, and I look much younger than my actual age. I mean...I'm certainly look good enough for women to give me a chance at least.

I'm not very particular about the race and ethnicity of the women I'd like to date. And also, its not like I'm only looking for a good looking woman. A pleasing personality is far more attractive to me than a just a pretty face.

Most Helpful Guy

• Where did you hear that crap? Your "most people" must consist of high schoolers because I don't know many people who think that.. Yeah, maybe if you're < 22 and still in school and have the opportunity to meet all kinds of members of the opposite sex one might feel that way. But out in the real world there are a lot of people who have trouble meeting others. I work in tech and my company is about 85% male and doesn't have much social interaction with people outside one's own workgroup, M or F.

Now I can't speak for women, because I've never tried to date a guy, but there are definitely some worthwhile women on dating sites. And some desperate ones, as can be expected. But the only way you will know is to get out there and quit listening to adolescents.

And yes, there are usually more men, but it is more like 60-40, not 100 to 1. So you will probably have to be the one who initiates contact. And most 25 year old women on such sites will be happy to hear from a guy who isn't twice their age.

• Thanks a lot for your response. And I'm not at all picky about the kind of woman I want to date. I mean...looks is the last priority for me. I'd prefer an interesting woman with a pleasing personality, rather than a woman with a pretty face. So I guess I may be in with a good chance on a dating site, especially since I'm not at all particular about looks.

• Just remember, its not unusual to get one response for every twenty messages you send out; women tend to get a lot of messages. Don't let this discourage you.

What Girls Said 1

• Just tell em you're rich and they will be all over you boy.

What Guys Said 5

• It still seems like it's something that we're still getting used to. I'll "admit" that I'm on one. I asked one of my friends about it. He said "it's a tool". It means that it's just another way to meet someone. Just because you sign up for a dating site doesn't necessarily mean that's the only way you'll end up with a relationship.

Personally, I would still prefer to meet a girl at a party, church, coffee house, or some other gathering. However, I'm still giving the site a chance. I still go out on my own a lot though. I'm pretty introverted so I usually prefer lower-key places like coffee shops or 24-hour pancake houses.

• Well...a dating site is probably the only option for me, because I'm way too shy. And also, parties are ruled out because I don't drink (most parties involve alcohol), and same with churches (because I'm an atheist, and also my birth religion was not Christianity).

• Well, I was speaking for myself. For what it's worth, most of the parties I attend actually don't involve excessive alcohol. At the coffee shop I hang out at a lot, there was a girl there for a while that I caught eye-balling me semi-frequently. It's worth a shot.

• It's not that going to online dating websites makes you a loser. It's that many of the guys who go on there are losers (and being a loser makes them more likely to flock to the internet). Yes, there may be a quantity of guys online, but the quality is missing. I've had women show me their inboxes with 50 messages in there. Most of the messages are generic, cliche, sexual or just corny pick up lines and most of the men cannot be taken seriously.

If you are normal, decent, respectful, have social skills, not vulgar, not married, not significantly older, by default, you will separate yourself from the crowd.

• and women are gold diggers

• I agree with you. Most women are indeed gold diggers, but I'm sure there will be a small number of women who are actually genuine.

• The more people I talk to lately, the more it seems to be becoming the norm.

• They are not for losers. Actually, some of the most successful relationships are borne because they met on a dating site.