Would you date a person with physical problems?

Lets say that you meet someone amazing. You click perfectly with their personality, and love spending time together. But then they drop something on you... they are almost certainly going to wind up being in a wheelchair for the rest of their life. Currently, however, they are fine. The time when they will be forced into the wheelchair is not a set date... it may happen tomorrow or it may happen in 20 years or more. But likely it will happen in maybe 10 years or so.

Would you get in a relationship with this person? It's a situation I'm in and I'm having a very very tough time deciding. I want to be with her, but looking long term, that'd be so hard to deal with for me since I'm super active/athletic and would prefer to have someone that could do those things with me.

• Yes
  • No
Well we are not in a relationship yet, so when answering the question make sure you're thinking in terms of someone you're NOT already with. We've only gone on a few dates, but I have this feeling that we're gaining a real connection. I definitely care for her a ton...

Most Helpful Girl

• My mom's in a wheelchair half the time, so I've grown up with that kind of thing. It's not that much of a hassle, though unless it's right after a surgery she can walk to the bathroom and that kind of stuff, it's just while shopping and stuff that she needs a wheelchair. My dad has never expressed that he thinks her disability is frustrating.

If I found out that my boyfriend would end up in a wheelchair, that wouldn't change anything. I love him with all my heart. I wouldn't care if he lost both legs, I'd still stay with him. So long as it wasn't something like "oh yeah, I'll be dead by the time I'm 40" then it wouldn't be a problem. I'd do everything I could to take care of him.

If you're super athletic, you could push her around on walks and stuff. Find a place with hills, really get your heart rate going. You will have friends to run with and such, but she'll be there to love you and cheer you on.

What Girls Said 5

• I believe if you love someone , truly love someone. Something like being in a wheelchair won’t mean sh*t as long as you have that real love. If you don’t mind me asking why would you be possiably in a wheelchair? I mean my aunt has bad knees she was hurt at work and they didn’t give her the right sugery the first time so 10 years later she’s stuck in a wheelchair. Her and my uncle don’t seem to let that mess with their relationship. Only thing is they have some obsticals like certain adventures they have to do diffrent but that's about it

• Sure, I'd date him. If I love him, then I'll take him however he comes.

• If I really cared for him I would.

• It's not like they're a different person, they just happen to be sat down rather than stood up!

I know it's not really that simple, and there would be difficulties to overcome - but isn't that true of every relationship? If you love one another, you make it work. There's ways round most things.

• Yes, that wouldn't stop me

What Guys Said 5

• Though I vastly prefer women with mental problems, I suppose I could come to find a woman with some grossly debilitating physical problem attractive.

• "...I'm super active/athletic and would prefer to have someone that could do those things with me."

Instead of her doing those things with you, could she be on the sidelines cheering you on? What if she was your supporter instead - doing things like handing you water bottles when you needed them?

You could find other friends to do the athletic things with. This would give you quality "bro" time with your male friends and she could support (from the finish line or the sideline) your endeavors.

• Yes. My girlfriend has scoliosis... I don't see why it's be a problem. Look for ramps, whatever... What are you worried about?

• Oh, I didn't see the last question. Well, is she athletic? Not everyone is anyway. She'll probably support you. I'm really religious and both my girlfriends are atheists. It works really well.

• WHEELCHAIR RACES!

• If I really care for her, then yes.