Guys, how honest are you when complimenting girls on dating sites?

I've always felt ugly and fat my whole life. At best, I only think I sometimes look cute and elegant if I dress up. But since I've put up an online profile on a social site (not exclusively dating), I've become quite popular. A lot of guys messaged me, commented on my photos, even the one where I thought I didn't look cute at all. They said I'm hot, I have a really cute smile, etc. I'll have to admit, it gave me a little bit of a confidence boost. But I'm also wondering, how many of these guys are just copy-pasting flattery to get some attention on themselves?

So are you always honest when complimenting a girl on her looks? What are the chances you're complimenting without meaning it when on social sites?

Most Helpful Guy

• You have to be careful what site you're on. Its a "social site"...ok, what are you looking for?

If you're looking to date online, you might actually wanna try a site specifically for dating. The problem with social sites is that there can be an array of intentions coming from the people you're talking to and potentially meeting. If you're looking for a decent dating site, I would suggest match or okcupid if you want it to be free.

But to answer your question, disregard what the first guy answered. Dating sites are not just for the lame, obese, and desperate. Its a legitimate way of meeting people who are looking for a relationship, and depending upon how honest people are, hookups. Don't be embarrassed about the whole online dating thing.

In my experience, guys do all the messaging and initiating contact. I would have never messaged a girl who I wasn't interested in of course, and when it came to compliments, I didn't really start complimenting them until I chatted with them a bit, and it was typically honesty.

Guys don't really have a reason to lie online, especially before they meet you. You're online...you haven't met, they don't know anything about you, such as phone number, so why would I take the time to lie about telling a girl she's pretty?

Just remember though, when you're online dating set up a profile that represents you best. In other words, don't lie or pretend to be somebody you're not online, just to get attention from men.

• It's best not to be gullible when some one says things on line. Gotta question all the time.

What Guys Said 8

• Online dating websites are known to INFLATE FEMALE EGO really badly. Some girls become addicted to the success they get online because they know they would not get this much attention in real life...

I think it's very unhealthy because it makes you lose grip on reality.

I know it because I asked myself to some girls on a forum that was related to the website. I was told by females that even while not being good looking, they get HEAPS of request and messages in their inbox etc.

It totally inflates ego. Guaranteed.

• I am totally dishonest. Totally. Absolutely. Dishonest.

If you look like butt I will tell you all the good features (that I mentally embellish) that I like about you and then calmly dismiss myself.

Now if I find you hot I actually won't talk about your features because there's no point to talk about your features because I don't require the courtesy.

I am probably atypical.

• I'm usually honest when I complement them simply because I feel no need to lie. If I come across a girl I don't find attractive, I usually just don't say anything.

• I usually don't compliment people, especially online. I assume other people have complimented them and more compliments would make me seem boring so I try to start a real conversation

• i'm always honest on those sites but keep in mind that many guys on online dating sites are desperate and are willing to date anyone that has a vagina.

• Depends. I like to be nice to everyone, so I would say something nice, but sometimes not mean it.

• We're really honest when complimenting girls.

• There are more guys on those sites than girls. So guys are more likely to tell a woman what she wants to hear, in order to have a chance with her. An online dating site is a horrible place to get an idea of how attractive you are.

I know a lot of women are not going to like to hear this, but this is the truth. If you want to know how attractive you are to men, the easiest way is to pay attention to how many guys approach you, and how good looking they are. If women are not being approached by any guys that she is attracted to, that means her standards are unrealistic when compared to her own attractiveness. Your body language can also affect the number of men that approach you. So you need to keep that in mind.

What Girls Said 2

• It's best not to take it too seriously unless you're going to meet him in real life too

• I think it's like life - some people will compliment when they don't mean it, just to be nice and get attention themselves.