What to do when your ex says they miss you, but doesn't say anymore than that?

After almost 6 months of being broken up, my ex started contacting me again through text message. Eventually we ran into each other and when I asked about the recent messages, he said he didn't want to ask me too many questions or pry too much through text because he wasn't sure how I would react. He knows I was really surprised/hurt by the break-up and said he doesn't want to hurt me again. He said that he wasn't ready to have this conversation but that he misses me but doesn't want to make the same mistake he did last time (by saying he was ready but wasn't) and he still doesn't know what else he wants to say besides that. I didn't say much because I'm not ready to put myself out there again and also don't know exactly how I feel. Although we can't be friend per say, I would be open to spending some time with him just hanging out to see how it goes and how he acts around me, but I'm hesitant to be the one to initiate that. We went to the same college and still have mutual friends that all live close. Should I make any effort at this point or should I just wait to see what he does from here now that he's told me he misses me?

Most Helpful Girl

• Don't even bother with this.

Someone reaching out and just saying "I miss you",means just that and nothing more.Maybe he does miss you but it certainly doesn't mean he trying to start things up again.And blah blah,about him "not being ready to have this conversation"...rubbish. Guys avoid drama at ALL costs...so they will ignore the heck out of you for as long as they can.Its difficult to tell someone,"Yeah...I'm breaking up with you because I met another chick" ...or whatever the excuse may be.Maybe he is attempting to be friends with you...and JUST FRIENDS.If you are ready for the friendship part and I do mean strictly (Platonic),then take things slow with him.But please don't start jumping to conclusions thinking he wants to date you again because that is the BIGGEST no-no.Getting yourself amped up for the possibility of dating him again.It sounds like he might want to hopefully be friends with you...hopefully.I'm assuming he initated the breakup so...be slow,be steady,and don't let your emotions get to you.

Good luck.

What Guys Said 2

• Umm, no.

• Don't go back with him. It's very risky and you'll just ending up getting hurt again.

What Girls Said 2

• I would wait,he hurt you now he comes crawling back,don't rush back to him since he doesn't know what he wants,let him figure it out then get back to u

• if I was you id wait to see what he does from here, he's the one who brought stuff up so let him be the one to carry it on and when you feel ready you can put yourself out their and be sure of how you really feel. Do you want to get back with him? do you trust him? + if you still contact each other via text for a while then maybe you should bring up hanging out for a bit to see whether he is still comfortable around you and it would also help you to be more sure about your feelings.