If you were already in a relationship with someone, and somebody better comes along...

If you were already in a relationship with someone, and somebody else way better came along, would you leave your current bf/gf, to be with this new person?

OR would you date both of them and see which offers more?

I have seen in the past this happen with my sister and her friends. I could never understand why, but they would always date someone and find someone better and date them both or leave one and date the other.

But what would you do?

• Yes.
  • No.
  • Date both of them and see which offers more.
  • Depends.

Most Helpful Girl

• To answer to the question if I would leave if someone better came along, I would leave. But NOT because the new person was better, but because if I THOUGHT they were better it would mean that I wasn't in love in the first place. As far as I'm concerned, the person you're with deserves someone that believes they ARE the better one and isn't looking for something more. If you can be swayed by someone else, you need to let the person you're with find someone that truly loves and appreciates them, not be stuck with someone that is just biding time waiting for something better to come along.

What Girls Said 11

• It depends on my feelings towards this new person. If feelings develop and they're stronger than what I feel for my current boyfriend, I may hang out with this person to get to know them more. If it turns out that I'm much happier with the new guy than with my boyfriend, I'll try to see how I can make our relationship better, like see if I can be as happy with my current boyfriend if I make a few changes.

If, however, after working on it, I still feel more strongly for the new guy, then I'll probably tell my boyfriend about it and he'll probably let me go date the other guy instead of him.

• no way,if you are looking for someone better,leave the one you are with.

• honestly, if a boyfriend made me second guess his feelings for me, then that's all I need to know that I don't really want to be with him. If you second guess your feelings they aren't even there.

• Yes. and your girl may have seen other better guys but still chose to be with you.. things like that. :)

• i with you on this one. if you would leave for something you thought was better than I wouldn't want to you, you'd just split on me to eventually. relationships about making things work you keep going even though it's hard that's how you connect & let your other know that you won't abandon them

• Well I personally would date both if its early days, however, if I'm in a committed and loving relationship someone better wouldn't come along, or I wouldn't be in that relationship.

• with how I feel about my boyfriend I would have to say no but if he started to treat me badly ...

• i'll only leave my boyfriend if I have a fair reason to leave him and I don't think it's a fair reason to leave him just because someone better comes along. I wish I'm the type who don't care and can just UPGRADE easily though.

• i wouldn't leave my current guy. there's a sayin: the devil you know is better than the one you dont.

because you already know what you're dealing with.

• I am with the best guy in the world currently.

Buuuut I suppose, I'll put myself in a hypothetical situation where I'm with a decent guy and an awesome one comes along...I'd break up with my boyfriend and be single for a while before pursuing the new guy.

But I'm with my one and only right now so this will never happen to me.

• I'm gonna be honest I'm not gonna lie, if someone better comes along, someone more comprehensive, fun, cuter etc... I probably would.

• Would I? Sure because all women are whores right?

• some times insecure woman just like insecure men make a big deal out of nothing & they refuse to accept the truth & the other person pays for it.

• i wouldn't because it's not fair or nice.

What Guys Said 7

• For me the only option is the one I am with. I wouldn't be considered as a person with "options" unless I was single and free to date. If someone is clearly in a relationship and feels its okay to exercise "options" then that person has commitment issues and really shouldn't be in a relationship to begin with.

When one is in a relationship and feels the need to constantly exercise options, it equates to infidelity. Of course there are too many variables as to why this practice can still backfire.

Suppose someone is in a relationship with someone and sees someone they may feel a stronger physical attraction to. Does this equate to an upgrade? Perhaps physically, but what if the character of this more physically appealing person turns out to be degrees below the person that were initially with? Would that person still be considered a better person? I think not.

What happens in a scenario such as that can be a couple things. One, their infidelity can be discovered by the person they are with and that could end up costing the person exercising options a otherwise solid relationship. Not to mention if the current mate communicates with the potentially new mate and they decide that this person is shallow and also chooses to end communication with them, citing that they are a potential downgrade due to their moral code of always thinking there is something better out there.

Basically as I see it, one who exercises such a practice is actually a downgrade to the person they are with while seeking the upgrade. One with better physical appearances quite often does not equate to a better choice. The key thing to value is how you and the person you are with are together as a couple, to nurture and cherish that and to be content with it until something happens that would otherwise make you single or consider becoming single.

Long story short, only single unattached people have "options." Personally, my significant other is my only option and I'm happy and content with her as she is. I wouldn't consider or entertain the thought or possibility of seeking someone better until my social status becomes single and available to do so.

• Now the main issue in this question about this situation is one of these two things:

1) this person doesn't personally know this "better option" that well and is judging on appearances alone; someone that views bfs / gfs as that easily disposable for someone else purely based on appearances is someone who shouldn't be in relationships at all

2) this person violated the boundaries of the relationship (emotional cheating), by getting to know this "better option" better on a personal level

----

Therefore said person is in the wrong no matter what, because the "better option" shouldve never been manifested in his/her mind in the first place!

• Women are like that. They do that simply because they can, it's called having options.

• If I loved my girlfriend, no. But if somehow this person who came along got on really well with me as a friend first, and later feelings started to blossom... I would probably be torn. If she was just a random hottie, then no.

• No I wouldn't leave the person I have committed myself to. And it's a good bet the person who comes by seems better, but isn't really better. And the people who choose "date both" are disgusting.

• So girls think this is ok? As my ex did this to me (assuming she thinks this guys better than me anyways) this seems logical and they're trying to reason their actions, is it me or I am the only one that thinks this is clearly cheating?

• It looks like only one girl voted that it would be okay to date both, so I don't think that means "Girls think this is okay." To me that would be cheating. Clearly it is to the other answerers as well.

• I would still prefer to be with the girl I'm with in the moment.