What conversation starters over text have you used?

I'm intrigued to see what sort of opening texts for conversations to the person you are interested in are like..

Personally, I always avoid the boring "How are you?", "What you been up to?" and go with something witty or playful such as "Read this and try not to think of me". Although, you can only come up with different openings to a certain point.

Most Helpful Girl

• I like sending a funny picture (usually related to an inside joke between us) or something that I know will get the other person talking. Maybe I'll send a pic of the poster for a cool event that I know he would like; the score from our home team's latest baseball/hockey/basketball game; a photo of an album cover so we can discuss new music; a picture of a faraway place we both want to visit; or maybe a picture of me in a new outfit to get his thoughts on it. Something he'd definitely have an opinion about, I guess. :)

What Girls Said 7

• I try to start the conversation telling them something funny that happened to me or ask them if they have seen something cool or funny or interesting that I think might strike their interest. The thing you wrote "Read this and try not to think of me" seems like something I would write a guy I like :)

• The guy I like texted me first about ten times so I've been texting him first a couple times and my next conversation starter I'm going to say something like "so I'm trying to find some good songs to listen to, any suggestions? Or something like that. lol is that dumb? He's kind of shy when it comes to conversations so I'm having to start it off now and I can't stand it cause I feel like I'm desperate or something even though I don't text him a billion times in a row lol

• Ha yeah, sometimes I feel like leaving it and letting her start one first. She has before, but I feel that because I've done it so many times now, not starting one might make her think I'm not interested. Do you think it can get boring to a girl if a guy teases you all the time?

• As a guy, if a girl I am interested in texts me first, that mostly puts a smile on my face. You'll probably wonder "what if he doesn't like me? I don't want to start a conversation if he doesn't". Surely he isn't messaging you first for no reason? I'd go with it

• Thanks for the advice! :)

• I tell him something like "listen to this song, I know you will like it", other than that I talk about talks we had in school or regular stuff.

• We I ask the boring "How are you?" and "What you been up to?" lol

I just start asking questions like "What genre of music/books/movies do you like?" Or "What do you like to do for fun?" Whatever they tell me, I just take it from there and start a conversation. If they don't tell me much or give me much of an answer, majority of the times, I just stop texting them. Obvious they aren't trying to put effort into the conversation

• lol I always you the how are you etc. my text convos don't go far though...try calling?

• sometimes a video or picture is a good way to get a conversation going

• I miss you!

(some show we like) is on!

I saw you (driving, at a store, etc)!

I'm so pissed the Giants are loosing!

Happy ground hog day!

haha just say what you feel like:-)

What Guys Said 5

• If I know someone I start off with, 'How sexy do you look today?' or "where did you leave your coat this time?'

• You text: "Getting that operation today. Pick me up around 3." Then you tell them you texted the wrong person.

• " I heard you were talking crap. Me, you, afterschool. >:O "

• yossup? hows that string theory thesis goin?

• If I talked to her something today, I would text her something that involves a topic that we've talked about. That's a great conversation starter.

• Ah yeah, I forgot to include that. It's something I've been doing because it's easier. I.e. I told her to "admit it" in a jokey way and she said something like "fine then, I enjoy talking to you and I like your parrot picture, etc" (was a picture of me and my parrot that I updated on twitter).

I used this as a conversation starter a few days later and asked if she was obsessing over parrot pictures lately, added a smile of course so it wasn't serious