Dating somebody whose parents don't like you?

I've been with my boyfriend for 2 years, we both just turned 18 so we're seniors in high school. I've always liked his parents and we always got along fine. they are ridiculously controlling with him though, which I don't like. I mentioned to him how ridiculous some of the stuff they did was, and m boyfriend finally stood up for himself around them and it caused a huge argument between him and his parents that lasted a few weeks. Today me and my boyfriend were talking about it and it slipped out that during the fight his parents said it was my fault that he started acting rude and standing up for himself & stuff. so now I guess they probably don't like me anymore. how can I date somebody whose parents don't like me? :( I told my boyfriend this and it lead to us getting in a fight. help please.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well right now I've been going through the end of this if it were a little worse. My boyfriend's dad just decided one day about a month and a half ago that he didn't like us together anymore so he gave my boyfriend an ultimatum. Either stay at his house or me. RIght now we're having to secretly date but it doesn't seem like your boyfriends parents are THAT immature. Most parents get really nervous when their kids turn 18 and that control they used to have slips away. It's a phase that most teens go through with their parents and doesn't mean his parents necessarily hate you they just are scared they'll lose their son and they aren't ready for him to grow up just yet. Maybe it would help it you all sit down and clear the air. I had problems with my parents as well when I was 18 but I let them know how I felt through them trying to control me and they backed off after they understood. Give him some advice on what to say but let that be a conversation between him and his folks. Just be there for support. It really sucks when you get dragged into family issues and drama. Just don't take out the stress from the situation on each other!

What Guys Said 1

• If you're looking out for a very long term commitment with your boyfriend, don't consider it. It will guarantee that you'll break up soon enough.

What Girls Said 1

• they sound like they like drama, just stay out of it and eventually they will forget about it, you're boyfriend needs to work on moving out.