Is this normal for a first date? Is he interested?

So I'm very new to dating. Both of my previous boyfriends were friends before we started dating. I've gone on a couple dates before, and I was able to have conversations with these people for the entire date. So I'm kind of confused about a date I had today. We met up at 11 and hung out until about 2. Our conversation didn't really flow. I would ask a question and he would answer, then awkward silence. Then he would ask a question and I would answer, then awkward silence. It seemed like there was a lot of awkward silences. I didn't think he was that into me. Towards the end I mentioned liking mini golf, and how there's not a good one in the city. Then he mentioned one that's just out of the city limits, and we should check it out. He said that it was too bad I had to work because we could just go. I made a joke about how I could call off work sick, and he said he would cough over the phone for me (he was getting over a cold). So then when I was saying goodbye he gave me a hug, and said we should do mini golf sometime.

Is this typical first date behavior? Is it normal for a guy to be interested even though it seems you don't have much to talk about? Is it possible that there were so many silences because we are both quiet people? I'm assuming he's probably still interested because he mentioned mini golf with me, but I don't know what to expect. Thanks for your advice.

Most Helpful Guy

• "I'm assuming he's probably still interested because he mentioned mini golf with me."

Bingo.

Your date sounds very normal; as you get to know each other better, the conversation will start flowing more. Just one bit of advice: For your next date, don't let him leave without kissing him. No more of this hugging nonsense. :-)

• Kissing really? I met him online so it would only be the second time we met. Isn't that a little forward? I'd love to kiss him-I like kissing in general, but I don't want to offend.

• There's nothing wrong with a hug when you meet for the first time; I was just being silly. But from that point on, it's always best to send the message that you don't want to be "just friends." If he's interested in you, he will want to kiss you too; you won't offend him at all.

What Guys Said 2

• you met him online. (shy guys, douche bags and stuff)

hes into you

• He really is into you. It's just that he's too nervous to talk about things or he really is shy.

What Girls Said 1