serious answers please! but where do people get the idea that interracial dating = self hate?

It really doesn't make sense to me. Someone who dates someone of a different skin tone is self hate? Someone who dates someone of a different hair color or hair length = self hate? Someone who dates someone of the opposite sex = self hate? Really? Or what if you don't find your own race of men/women attractive does that mean you hate yourself? If a dark skin man only dates light-skinned women because he's not attracted to women of his own shade that means he hates himself?

What does interracial dating have to do with self-hatred? And please provide as many good answers as possible so that I may understand them.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it mostly stems from jealous people who think they own men and women of a specific race. Like say a white dude sees a white girl dating a black guy it may make him upset because he feels he's inferior to the guy just because he's black. The same can happen the other way around too. I think it just comes from insecurity and a strong group identity which I think are both bad. Some people have such strong associations with race that they consider anybody who strays away to be betraying the team. If we viewed each other as human beings and treated each other like individuals rather than a part of a whole identity the world would be a better place..

What Guys Said 6

• There's a big difference between self hate and preference. Those who tend to try and alter their genetic features in effort to appear like another group of people would equate to self hate. Those who tend to be more attracted to others because of the feature that their particular race has, equates to preference.

I think anyone with common sense can conclude the differences between the two. The problem comes in when some people aren't accepting of your choices to date someone who is of a different race. They tend to be very biased against such and will make any justification to support that bias, even if its clearly off base.

One of the biggest excuses they make is to try and equate personal preference with self hate. It can't be done, but they will find some ill faded way to justify it as one in the same.

Basically it stacks up with all the other excuses that doesn't make sense. Like stereotyping. "Don't date this person because ALL people of that race have some sort of issue or another." Another classic is the questionable psychic. "What if you have kids? They will be confused and experience ridicule and have a hard life." Then there's your self entitled. "It's okay if you date this race but don't date others."

Of course, there are many other statements non supportive people will make to justify why you shouldn't follow our preferences. The questions to you is simple. Why listen to them? Why let them affect your choices? The answer should be quite simple. Don't listen to them and follow your preferences if you know what makes you happy. Rally around those who understand and support your decisions and distance yourself from those who don't or choose not to. Its your life, you can only live it for you so live it as it best suits you.

• It's people being supremacist about their race, thinking that you have some sort of moral obligation to 'keep your own race going' and that their race is 'the best'... Definitely an undercurrent of racism about, I think there's also some jealousy involved... some people are butt hurt because an attractive member of their own race dates someone that they don't think they can match. I think people should date whoever they want, I'm attracted to girls/women of all religions, all races and a big variety of ages.

• I've never heard that before. If I had to fathom a guess, it's saying that you dislike who you are (race wise) so you associate with those in another race.

• That's because they have strong patriotism.

• Not everyone that dates interracially. I do think a lot of it is a status thing though. It's lust.

About the self hate, it's mainly the ones that involve dating white guys. There's something wrong with a girl if that's what she goes to no matter what her race is.

• Racist people can't fathom how you could love one color, without hating the other.

What Girls Said 4

• People who exclusively date interracially often do have issues with their own race that they won't admit.

I can understand, OK you meet a guy you like and you date him even if its not your race. That's different

but if you will exclusively date outside your race and will not date a guy of your race, sorry that's self hatred. what's so bad about your race that you will not date someone who has the same ethnicity/nationality/race as you?

How can you not see the beauty in people who look like you? How is it that everyone else is attractive except for the people who are the mirror image of you? that is self hatred..sorry it just is

• I hope not! lol I'm a product of an interracial relationship! I think it all started during slavery... It was a tactic used to keep everything in order and control. No whites and blacks together... tension was planted between light and dark skin blacks... this country kinda started on maintaining those kind of boundaries... and for hundreds of years... people for the most part felt comfortable with staying within those boundaries and a lot of them were threatened if "one of their own" went against the norm... you still a little of that mentality today... This is only my personal opinion and definitely not the only answer...

• i don't call it self hate, I call it preference.

• Racist people are idiots. They never get how someone prefers a different race over their own. Let them live in ignorance.