Income related questions for girls.

OK So I want to know a girl's opinions with dating and income. This is not a "girls just want money" topic. So please keep those comments out of here.

So when you date a guy for a while, when would you finally want to know how much they make?

Do you prefer to date someone with the same income as you?

What are your opinions on a guy with 30K income vs 50K income?

If a guy is not money driven, pays his own bills, lives alone, and does not have plans to boost his income level, would you reconsider dating him?

Most Helpful Girl

• Of course I would want to know how much they make, I am sure all ladies would want to know what their men make out of curiosity. Is it true that all girls just want money? absolutely not, but I know that most girls want support and security. I would prefer a man who has equal or higher amount of income as me. Would it be a deal breaker if the S/O makes less income? not really, as long as they can support themselves, have goals, or simply enjoy their job not because of the money. In the long run, I am not going to date/marry someone who has no goals and works at a crummy job like Walmart or Mcdonalds. I am not saying I am a gold digger, I am just not gonna mess with no broke, broke. 30k income is a teachers salary, which I am going to be a teacher someday and will probably make that income. I would not mind if I dated/married a guy with an income of that amount, as long as the person is good to me and does not work at fast food resturants/ janitor jobs.(if the man is a teacher and makes that much, that is a plus! because I highly respect teachers and find most of them really attractive)

• I am not saying I am a gold digger? No dear you are a gold diggers stop denying it. You just said it yourself you won't date/marry someone who works at Wal-Mart or McDonalds? If money didn't matter so much why overlook those guys who work there? And what business is it of women to know what the guy makes? I'm sure you wouldn't want guys to know how much you make?

• yeah because most people who work at those places do not have goals much higher than that. Majority of people who work at Wal Mart are probably drop outs and decided to say f*** education. I would not care for a guy to know how much I make in the future. I can be whatever I want to be, I chose to be a teacher one day, do you think they make a lot of money? helll no but I do not care about that. I want a man who has GOALS and I'm pretty sure working at Walmart is not a very high goal I would not

• consider that a goal. Like I said, I want a man with goals. You can read it gain if you like, sir :)

What Girls Said 11

• If I was dating him for a while, realistically, I would most likely know what it is he does for a living, so even if he doesn't wish to tell me, I will have a general idea based on his career. I wouldn't pressure him, but it would be my sincere hope that he would want to divulge at least general information regarding his income to me at some point, hopefully at the point where we will commit to each other for a relationship that extends beyond casual dating.

Ideally I would prefer that he made at least as much as I make, if not more, however, if he can be self sufficient and responsible with his income, its not a requirement. At best he should at least be close to my income level if not above it.

Of course most women would prefer the 50K over the 30K because it provides more security. However what she will most likely consider is what he does with and how responsible he is with his money. Can he balance his financial affairs without living beyond his means. Does his behavior allow for impulsive spending that is counterproductive, such as gambling. This will play more into focus for me because if the man making more, but has more vices that he's fueling his income towards, but the guy who's making less but is responsible handling his income, then I will opt for the guy with the most financial responsibility. Its not always how much you make as it is how you manage it. A man making 30k, but pays his bills is far more appealing than the man who makes 50k but can't keep his lights on.

He doesn't have to be money driven, but money conscious is a must. He should always look for an occasional pay raise or if offered a better career. That doesn't mean he's money driven, just means he wants to maximize his potential. If a many is actually money driven it may mean he is more willing to sacrifice time with me to chase it and that wouldn't be a good thing to do to a woman on a consistent basis. If he's in a decent career and seeks not too "boost" his income but he works toward advancing within his career, I'm fine with that as well.

If his ambition doesn't even allow him to compete for advancement in his career, then it could be a sign he will be lazy within his relationship as well which definitely isn't appealing to me at all and therefore I will most likely not date him.

• If I was just dating someone it wouldn't matter but if I were to consider him a life partner he would need to have a similar lifestyle to me including a decent stable job.

It's not that I need someone to support me, I just want a lifestyle that reflects my income. Income generally reflects the level of effort someone puts into seeking employment whether it be by education, trade school or finding something you're really good at.

Key word is LIFESTYLE here - I feel people need to live similar lifestyles in order to be a successful couple.

For example my ex and I had different incomes, mine more, his less and he wanted to lead a lifestyle that reflected his including living on the bad side of town in a dumpy little apartment. I was miserable there because I didn't want to live like that when I worked for more and put effort into finding a better job and he clearly didn't. There were drugs everywhere and our building had fire evaucations all the time due to all the druggies!

he also resented me for making more than him and that was a constant relationship issue. He didn't feel like "a man". I didn't see him differently but he caused problems due to his own lack of confidence from it.

For both genders I truly feel as though they shouldn't expect anymore than they can contribute themselves. Girls get away gold digging because they can offer their bodies to bear the man's child where as men can't really do that.

• 1) So when you date a guy for a while, when would you finally want to know how much they make?

If we finally become boyfriend and Girlfriend for more than 6 month or so, but I won't ask directly about his income level.

2) Do you prefer to date someone with the same income as you?

No, why should I? :)

3)What are your opinions on a guy with 30K income vs 50K income?

I prefer to be the one earning much more as I wouldn't want to depend on a guy financially. His money is his, mine is mine till the day we become husband and wife then we can pool our income together to support the household expenses.

I want to be financially independent so that I can survive on my own even if one day our r/s doesn't work out.

4)f a guy is not money driven, pays his own bills, lives alone, and does not have plans to boost his income level, would you reconsider dating him?

Not money driven is fine but you cannot be no goal driven. A person need to have goal so that it can motivate him to work hard. it is a virtue to be hardworking.

• I don't think I'd ask what he what he was making. I'd just look around his house when he invites me over and see if he manages with what he makes. I'd also observe him when the bill arrives after a date. If he often asks me to pay, but never returns the favor, then I'd be worried.

So I guess I want someone who makes about as much as I do. I'm still in college, I don't work yet, but I'd rather date someone who has the potential to make about as much as I would. I wouldn't think any lesser or more about the guy based on his income, but I would care if he doesn't know how to manage his money and has debts all over.

• I only care if:

It feels like he's spending over his head.

We are going to be living together

• Yes I would. Can't be doing with workaholics.

• There is more to life then money! Of course it's essential and as long we were fairly comfortable and had a few little extras then that's OK with me. I would be more concerned about how he treated me, respected me and how well we clicked. I think that's far more important.

• I would not care all that much about how much money he makes, but my parents would for sure (they're in the top 1%). They always try to hook me up with sons of business owners and don't seem to care whether I actually like these guys...

• I would like to know if we become serious. I would like someone who made at least as much as me.

• I plan to make 70-100K a year with my future career. If I dated someone with an income way below that, I would fear that he would feel emasculated and take it ouyt on me and try to make me feel small in other ways. If he had his own car, apartment, etc and supported himself that would be great, but a huge discrepancy would make me worry, since a lot of guys do expect to make more than a woman.

• So, it's not the status I'm afraid of, but whether or not he will feel insecure and be manipulative if he made less money.

• What he's making at the moment is unimportant. You don't have to ask to see if he has potential to be secure financially when it's needed. Also job security would count too.

If I was to marry the guy I'd prefer if he would be making the same or ideally more than me. I know if I have kids my earning potential will decrease. There'll be promotions I won't realistically be able to apply for etc. I don't want to also have a family solely/mainly relying on my wages.

I am not money driven. I can be happy with little or nothing but have chosen a career that will result in high wages. I would want this to be matched for the reason given above and also I fear that maybe he would be uncomfortable if I was earning way more. I don't know how important that is to a guy?

• Yes, I would consider dating you and as long as you have enough money to live comfortably I see no problem with your want to not boost your income level. I personally wouldn't want to know your income until like a year into the relationship just so money won't be an influence on the relationship

What Guys Said 7

• From studies I've seen, girls under 23 or so don't care much, probably because the guys their age with the brightest futures are still students, plus a lot of them are still in school too.

When they hit the real world, they suddenly care quite a bit. They would much rather a guy who earns more then them, just like most men would rather date a woman who is hotter then they are.

• What guy is not money-driven (to an extent)? As a man, It goes with the territory if you want a good career, financial stability, power, etc. right? Call me old fashion when it comes to money and career. I work in a corporate environment. Unless you're frugal and not a big spender...then maybe you can settle with something under $40k.

I know money isn't everything and I rather not become glued to my career when it's time to raise a family. But realistically, anything less than $60k is not enough to raise a family with one kid let alone two.

• She's going to get an idea what you make when she finds out what you do and how your lifestyle is. I doubt they would ask you though. Money is only part of life but for many it's a big stressor. Common sense right. Also I think people tend to care more about money with age so the girls on this site might reflect that. I think the main thing is try to find some passion and purpose and money usually follows.

• 30k is like bus fare in Los Angeles, and most other major cities I would imagine.

• Sounds about right...or less than a year's rent in an expensive city like LA or Vancouver...assuming you live by yourself.

• They would prefer with larger income than them.

• A guy who makes $30k= ugly, poor and not worth a girls time

A guy who makes $50k or more= Hot and worth a girls time.

All women are gold diggers some just hide it better. And yes I'm generalizing I'm sick of females pretending money doesn't matter to them when in fact it does. Someone has to stand up and to them.

• Ironically it is hard for a guy to make a lot of money and be hot at the same time. Being physically attractive requires a lot of hours in the gym and having a high income typically requires working long hours at their job. Did you even read the part of the question where I said that this is not the place for the gold digging whining accusations?

• Did you read the part where I don't give a sh*t?

• they don't care as long as you pay for everything lol