Online dating - How to initiate contact

So I've decided to sign up for a dating website for people with disabilities (I'm a transplant patient). It's something completely out of my element and have no idea how these work.

I've come across several profiles that I am interested in but I have no clue how to start a conversation with them. My personality is more of a 'Hey, what's up, how are you?' but that's something you'd say to your buddies, right?

I'm not trying to come off like a buddy although I know a lot of people would rather start off as friends and get to know each other first.

So, what's the best way to 'approach' someone?

Most Helpful Guy

• Mention something in their profile or something you two have in common. This lets the girl know you've read her profile and are legitimately interested in her as a person.

What Girls Said 5

• Like the others have said,start off with a hi,how are you and comment on their profile. But PLEASE don't just say hi. *I* hate that.

good luck...

• Just be yourself. Start off by saying hello how are you? I like what I read in your profile this what caught my attention...once they respond back you should be comfortable. Good luck hun!

• Just start by saying hi and take it from there.

• tell her something unique, you need to stand out, read her profile and find something you can connect with on a deep level.

• Just day hi and write a quick message introducing yourself

What Guys Said 3

• Make it casual and mention something in their profile so they know you're specifically writing to them. Then ask an open-ended question so she has something to write back with. Just remember that no reply means no thanks and take it with grain of salt. Message a few girls at once and wait some time to see who writes back and keep going. It's super easy for girls to brush off guys online so don't be surprised if you have to message a lot of girls to meet up with even one.

• Honestly sometimes a simple hi will do just fine. Typically just a basic introduction and then a positive comment about something on their profile or in one of their pictures. Maybe ask a question about something on their profile. Like if they say they like sports, ask which one in their favorite or something like that.

It's online dating, not Facebook. People will know what your intentions are just by being on that site, unless of course they're just stupid.

• You're right. Even to your friends, the whole "What's up" deal isn't much of a good conversation starter. Be cordial, introduce yourself. "Hello, my name is X. I noticed your profile and wanted to get to know you better." Point out your similar interests. "You like collecting stray cats? Me too! I really feel a connection here!" "You like long walks on the beach too? No kidding!" Bottom line, if you can't make good conversation with them they aren't worth your time really. Give people with bad profiles a chance because sometimes great people hide behind the awful profiles they write.