Is it normal for a guy to pay for lunch if you're not on a date? Please help!

I'm a student at university. The university runs a 'mentor program', which basically pairs up students with 'mentors' from people working in areas the student may be interested in working in when they graduate. The mentor's job is to provide guidance and support to the student to help them get a feel for employment after university.

I signed up for the program, and was matched with a lawyer who is 30. He arranged to meet up with me for lunch so we could talk about any questions I may have for him. We met at a cafe, and ordered lunch. When I went to pay he said "No please, let me pay". I was a bit confused why he paid, because that was the first time I've ever met him, and I was just confused why he paid? I was flattered he did though. What's your opinion?

Most Helpful Guy

• In that situation it's not unusual.

What Guys Said 1

• Yes it's fine I think we are meant to pay or at leas offer it's the rite thing to do. I always pay for female friends and family

What Girls Said 3

• He's just being nice. I wouldn't think too much into it, he's just offering to pay because he wants to be nice since you took an interest in the program and the field that he works in. This is quite common in different professional industries.

• It is fine and normal actually especially if you live in a country like Turkey, the men paid all the time even though you're just normal friends... Up to a level where I decided to eat before I go out with anyone who's not even my bf!

• He's being a gentlemen!