21 and constantly angry...is it normal?

i recently turned 21 and I find that I am constantly angry. I hide behind a wall of jokes, (stand up on the side) and a fake smile so embedded into my face that it could be drawn on. but away from everyone I drown my sorrows in bottles of sh*t whisky, and cheap beer. a good example is that today my only day off in a month I did laundry and had a date with an old friend from high school(my first date in 3 months). after I was done with laundry my brother asked since he didn't have a car if I could hang out with him at the laundromat so I said sure. its 3 he has one load to do we'll be done at the latest by 4:30 dates at five...because he didn't have a car I couldn't leave him when he didn't start the f***ing dryer twice. so I missed my date because I was trying to be nice. now I'm so angry. beyond angry...is it okay for me to always be this mad at the world? to constantly hate everyone? to unknowingly expect my life to wind up as the bitter lonely old man who yells at kids to get off his damn lawn? anger usually causes me to drink drink leads me to rant and ranting tends to make the best jokes...so is it healthy to be this angry?

• Healthy
  • Un-healthy

Most Helpful Girl

• No its not healthy to be angry all the time. It seems like you have a lot of pent up anger that you need to let out. If you don't deal with it properly and try to suppress it, it may surface at an inappropriate time. It can turn into violence and aggression.

You seem to need to let off some steam. Anger is best dealt with venting. Try talking to someone about your angry feelings. Or you can even verbalize your feelings and tell the person who made you angry how you feel. Don't point out their flaws just let them know how their actions angered you.

Its normal to get angry once in a while but its a problem when you don't deal with it correctly and hold it all in. It will just lead to resentment and apathy. Try not to dwell on the past. Think positively and focus on the present and how that will affect your future. Drinking won't solve your anger problem. If you feel want to take up an activity to let off some steam, you can exercise, watch tv, medidate, or just do something that make you feel good and will help you relax. I got this from my psychology book so hope it helps. :D

What Girls Said 3

• Why don't you express your anger in a more constructive way? Like tell him that calmly he messed up your day and that you're feeling very angry? If that doesn't work, or go run a mile /take a long jog till that anger of yours wear off.

• the drinking just mellows/drowns your heavy emotions. This, as I see it, a lot of men do it to suppress their emotions and bottle it up instead of letting it out by talking about the issue. You just keep building up a beast that literally takes over you.

• you should learn to communicate your feelings better, tr meditating and don't feel pressured to entertain others, if that job makes you miserable or causes you to live an unhealthy life then find something better to do.

• Its not good for you to be angry all the time. You should probably find a better outlet for your emotions than alcohol, because that just compounds the problem instead of you learning how to properly deal.

What Guys Said 2

• id say its definitely not healthy to be angry all the time, but venting is healthy, better than keeping it all in. I know when iam angry for long periods of time ill actually start feeling sick, ill actually get sick being angry so in turn get sick of being angry. also have anxiety issues that can also make me sick. its amazing how our bodies are so fused with the mind that emotions affect you physically. its too bad there's so many negative emotions in the human psyche and really only one positive emotion which is being happy which can be seemingly impossible to achieve at times, but so easy to get angry. just have to try and remind yourself of all the positive things that have happened to you in your life. may also want to seek professional help as well. anger can lead to depression

• It looks like you're agreeing to things you don't want to do which is causing resentment. Among other things. Learn to set limits.