So I'm going on a date with this guy from school that I kind of know (what program he's in, where he's from, etc) but not too well. I have never been good at small talk and have always been very awkward at carrying out conversations. If there's an awkward silence, which there will probably be, what are some things I can talk about/do to make it less awkward? I really like this guy, which is going to make me even more awkward than usual. Please help :)
Most Helpful Guy
First of all, always let a man talk about himself. We love to do this, and we'll even babble if you let us. (Don't let him).
Secondly, wear something stunning, that will take his breathe away... the reason for this is not to get him thinking about sex necessarily, but to disarm him. Think of your little black dress like Wonder Woman's truth Lasso... you will be able to ask him anything, and he will likely tell you the truth.
Some easy things to ask him:
1. What's his favorite sports team - this is innocent and easy for girls, no chance for a screw-up
2. What kind of car(s) does he like - again, innocent question coming from a girl
3. What sort of food does hie like, guys LOVE to talk about this
4. His ideal mini-vacation? Vegas? The Bahamas?
5. And always ask WHY with these kinds of questions; again, let him talk
Some things to ask with care:
1. Where did he go to school (college)?, if he is a college man
2. What's his family like? This can go either way, but if you've asked enough "gentle" questions, most men will open up to you...
3. What's his job like? NEVER ask this first; most men hate gold-diggers... Ask him more like "do you like what you do for a living"?
Whatever you do, DON'T ask a man if he wants to get married or have kids for at a year, unless you are over 35 years old. And DON'T ask about his ex's unless you are ready to have sex with him, and/or you've been dating at least 6 months.1