Why do people continue to date if it doesn't become serious?

I've seen some questions before in which the QA mentions a person that they've been dating for several months, but it's "not serious". Why do they continue seeing each other if they aren't going to commit to anything deeper?

Most Helpful Girl

• This is how I'm doing it right now. It's fun and I enjoy the guy but we don't really have a future.

Neither of us are looking for a serious relationship nor want that commitment any time soon.

Sometimes I feel that those looking for a serious relationship are looking for just that and not the particular person so this is nice in that there's no pressure two weeks in when the person asks if I can see myself marrying them and they don't get upset when I tell them I don't know yet.

Everyone should casually date each other before a serious relationship.

What Girls Said 7

• because you can still enjoy their company and have fun with them, not everything has to be so serious

• To enjoy themselves and one another's company, free of pressure and worry.

• what is metter if you have fun?

• because sometimes a little fun is nice,

• It's usually because of easy sex or someone has self worth/confidence issues and wants to feel wanted.

• I guess because they're having fun and not worrying about progression.

Some people are happy just having a good partner with no pressure. More and more people are embracing this mentality these days.

They're just enjoying the ride instead of focusing on the destination.

• I see this more in boys

What Guys Said 3

• If I enjoy my moment in time with her is that not a valid enough reason to remain in that moment until such enjoyment fades? Does everything we do have to be done in preparation for the future? That's a dull way to go about living.

If you're continually spending the now thinking and planning for the later you will only serve to be disappointed. You have memories of the past, visions of the future, but only the now to experience.

Waste the only moment you will ever be given and find yourself filled with regret.

• Beats the sh!t out of me, I have asked myself this same question so many times. I guess they are just hoping it will somehow click sooner or later.

• For some, dating is viewed as an ego booster. No commitment involved, any less wanted, just looking for some fun, and maybe more fun than that if you catch my drift, but nothing more...