Things to talk about on a first date?

normally the girls I date I already know as like friends before hand, but my friend is trying to hook me up with his roommate and I really want it to work Because she's cute and seems like a fun person (from what I've heard)

so any ideas on things to talk about. I figured we'd just go to the beach and hang out for a while, (should I change my idea for the date?)

I realize it could depend on the girl so ladys just say what you would like to talk about/ where youd like to go for first date

Most Helpful Guy

• It's best not to keep a bunch of specific questions because you'll be more likely to freeze up. Conversation should flow naturally, but here are a few things to keep in mind.

Make sure it doesn't turn into an interview (you ask a question, she answers, you ask another, she answers, etc). The best thing to do is...I can't think of how to explain this properly at the moment lol...but basically you want to use the word "we" more, if that makes sense. So for example, if she tells you a story about some other country she's been to, you could say something like "Yeah, I've always wanted to go to Europe. We should totally win the lottery and go on a Eurotrip sometime." And then talk about what y'all would do in Europe. It helps put her in the mindset of the two of you together.

Another thing you can do if you find yourself looking for something to talk about is play the question game. Basically, you take turn asking each other questions, you can't repeat any questions that the other person asked, and if you don't want to answer you can say pass (that last part is just to make her feel more comfortable). It's a pretty easy way to turn things sexual as well.

Last thing to remember is not to be afraid of silences. You don't have to be talking the entire time, and most girls will appreciate a guy who they can just have a comfortable silence with. A lot of guys think silences are awkward, but if you don't, she won't.

Good luck!

• I would be a bit freaked out if a guy I barely know would start saying "we" a lot... I'd save that for later, to be honest, when I know that you are not a weird stalker and when I actually feel confortable around you.

• As a girl, I completely agree with all of this ^ Especially the last part. I'd elaborate, but he pretty well explained it haha

What Girls Said 9

• Ask her about her life... what she's doing career/study wise, what she's interested in doing someday, her favorite kind of music, what she likes to eat... just think of stuff you'd like to know about her. Just leave the more serious stuff for later dates. Like don't ask her how many kids she wants or if she believes in sex before marriage lol. Stay away from those questions for now... just saying :)

• I wouldn't like to go to the beach on a first date... It seems that you only want to see what my body looks like, if that makes sense...

Talk about her, ask questions about her life, her goals, her childhood and tell her stuff about yourself that you find that defines you. Good luck :)

• I'm not kidding...I'd actually love to talk ABOUT "what to talk about on a first date". That would be fun and casual and kind of cute.

As for the location: the beach is perfect! Also gives you the opportunity to talk about everything to do with the beach. Last vacay? Like to swim? - If you get the conversation going then other topics will come to you naturally.

Have fun!

• I'm agree. Beach is not a good idea. You should go for a coffee or something like that but I think it would be helpful to ask to your friend what she likes and get ideas from there.

About the what to talk about, I'd say you should try to get to know her better. It doesn't have to be a job interview like conversation. Share a bit of your life while she shares hers. Another good move is find something, even if it's little, you have in common. The talking will work for itself for hours ;)

• good stuff, why is the beach bad though? jw

• It's not a bad idea if you go to walk or eat nerby the beach but if you want to go to swim or surf she might (it's not a sure thing tho) that you only want to check her out and see how hot she is. Besides, this kind of beach trips for girls that are not too confident of their own beauty, make them a bit uncomfortable. Well, all depends of the kind of girl

• gotcha gotcha

• fun and light stuff like shopping, fashion, travel, cuisine, etc.

• shoppings bad

• how would I talk about shopping?

• talk about where you like to go, favorite shops, favorite brands, what kind of things you buy, what you collect, etc. boys often mention this on dates like "oh do you like CHANEL ? that's a cute bag, looks expensive..."

• Mainly their interests,goals,hobbies,work/school life,etc

• anything that makes you get to know each other

• ask her what her interests are.

• just talk about things you like and things she likes, try to actually get to know her

What Guys Said 4

• I guess the biggest mistake that I used to make when I was younger was thinking along the lines, "Where can I take her that she would like?" "What should I say to her?" etc,...etc... The list goes on.

I think most guys need to start regearing. "Where can I go to make this fun for "US"?" I think nice guys tend to put WAY to much value on your date. Not saying you shouldn't be nice and have a good time. But think in terms of "US" and "WE" goes a long way.

This really sets the tone for the moment and for future interactions. When I starting approaching dates this way, I felt everything was much more natural, and my connections were much better than putting all the emphasis on her.

If the date is one of those hard to impress/walking corpses, than at least you had fun in the end.

Good Luck!

• lol very true man and yeah that's why I was thinking beach, its always fun there

• Talk about how cool you are, but if you're not cool, then you're f***ed.

• Just talking about yourself or asking about her is sufficient. There are no "specifics" and forced conversations you keep on mental index cards tend to suck.

• How loud you farted in the morning. if she's not impressed by that, she's not worth it...