Would you date a girl with autism?

Ok so imagine you met this nice girl, she seems totally normal like any other girl. You ask her out and start dating, but after a while you find out that this girl has a view different forms of mild autism and sees psychiatrists and just has a lot of extra baggage so to say. Would you still want to continue to date her and get involved with her? Or not? And why would you or would you not?

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• I would date her, probably. I would also try to find out how serious her condition is and is likely to become in the future, provided she's willing to tell me. Some patients with autistic spectrum disorders actually improve with time.I am not sure that I could continue to date if she develops serious problems, requiring hospitalization, for instance. Not all people are ready to such lengths.If a person becomes seriously affected with a mental condition, she/he brings an enormous strain on his/her partner.If the condition is manageable, I can see no problem here.

What Guys Said 26

• It depends. In some ways I find people with mild autism very easy to understand. It depends on how affectionate she is and the extent to which she wants to be emotionally close. My son has autism by the way. He's unfortunately not so mild though he continues to make slow progress. But he's quite affectionate.

• It might be difficult to get and keep contact with that girl, if she has real autism.If she has higher autism (Asperger) it wouldn't be a problem.

• maybe.

• It'd depend, but it's not an automatic deal breaker. It'd really come down to whether or not her autism would bother me and/or get in the way of a developing relationship.

• My gfs little brother has autism, but his is more severe. He still functions and even attends school with average kids but he needs a little helpHypothetical situation, if I'm angle and there is a girl at his level of autism, than no.If she has very mild autism than maybe. Like maybe she's just awkward in social situations. Autism is actually much less common in girls though. Not sure why

• I would give her a chance as long as the attraction was there, and she was a good person. I wouldn't worry about it if your a good person, because you're clearly not lacking in the looks department.

• Perfectly fine with it as long as she's not egotistic enough to expect perfection in return, even in cases where I can deliver.

• an autistic girl is far more likely to land a relationship than an autistic guy, for the obvious reason

• It depends on how severe it is.I've seen cases of Autism (and Asbergers) that are so mild that it's not even noticeable.Throughout school and life I've stumbled upon people with this disorder, and since I know quite a bit about it so I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as she wasn't too unsocial.(I've seen perhaps one severe case amongst all the people I know, most people that I have met have Asberger's syndrome rather)

• I've never been in a relationship, but the one girl I truly loved was Autistic. She was hand on heart the nicest, most caring, lovable person I've ever met. So yes, yes I would. We all have our problems, myself included. As long as we love each other, then it doesn't matter to me. Kind Regards. MashDown5.

• I guess it depends on the type of baggage. I've got nothing against the idea of dating someone with autism, although to be honest I don't know much about it, whether it would effect any kids we might have, or whether it gets worse with age.I wouldn't break up with her simply on the grounds that she has autism, but I'd need to know that she would still be able to function and work to hold up her end of the relationship.

• If she makes you happy why not :)

• I wouldn't not date her just because of her diagnosis. It really depends on the severity of certain symptoms, and whether or not they could mesh with my personality. I would continue dating said girl, but I would pay attention to her behavior and try to be as honest with myself and with her as possible about whether or not this could work in the long run. That's what everyone has to do when they're dating someone new, isn't it?

• it wouldn't bother me at all actually that might make me hold on to her even more !

• If there's love and common interests and enough effort on both our parts to make it work? Why wouldn't I?

• I was born with mild autism. I used to have great social difficulties and now I fit in well. My view is that as long as she doesn't make her autism an issue, it won't be an issue.

• If you really love someone you will stay with that someone no matter what and if its just for dates I still do not see that it should effect anyone. I mean you can keep going to the psychiatrist and in the evening you date the guy, something like that. So either way don't worry :)

• No. I find girls weird enough, without dealing with one who has legitimate medical problems as well.

• I'd give her a chance. You imply that the autism in this case is so mild that no layman would know unless you told. So it probably wouldn't be a problem.

• would you date a male aspie?

• Do you mean asperger syndrome?

• Show Older
    • Oh I see, well Asperger Syndrome is considered a mild form of autism, high functioning

• I know, people with Aspergers are usually really smart, but they can also be quite hard to deal with in my experience, they like to be right all the time and can find it hard to see things from a different point of view for example. But of course this doesn't apply to every person with Asperger Syndrome.

• To be honest, I'm still ignorant to what autism really is. Does it make you act a little psychotic? If not, I wouldn't care if she had it.

• Well you can't help who you full in love with, saying that I know someone with autism and he is so much hard work I knew he can't help it but it too much hard work

• Would you or any girl date an autistic guy? I doubt it. There's your answer

• I would, like said before it depends on how severe it is but yes I would date an autistic guy.

• I would. The autistic guy I know at least tries to make conservations. I usually have to struggle to get my dates to talk.

• If it is you I'd marry you now.

• Yeah np

• i would date any girl if she doesn't find me ugly

What Girls Said 1

• Well, I don't date girls, but I don't think the problem that you have would be a turn off for guys. Nobody's perfect and I don't think someone who is into you would reject you because of your problem. I'm sure you'll find a nice guy and he will love you for who you are.