Would you date a girl with autism?

Ok so imagine you met this nice girl, she seems totally normal like any other girl.

You ask her out and start dating, but after a while you find out that this girl has a view different forms of mild autism and sees psychiatrists and just has a lot of extra baggage so to say.

Would you still want to continue to date her and get involved with her? Or not? And why would you or would you not?

Most Helpful Guy

• I would date her, probably. I would also try to find out how serious her condition is and is likely to become in the future, provided she's willing to tell me. Some patients with autistic spectrum disorders actually improve with time.

I am not sure that I could continue to date if she develops serious problems, requiring hospitalization, for instance. Not all people are ready to such lengths.

If a person becomes seriously affected with a mental condition, she/he brings an enormous strain on his/her partner.

If the condition is manageable, I can see no problem here.

What Guys Said 27

• It depends. In some ways I find people with mild autism very easy to understand.

It depends on how affectionate she is and the extent to which she wants to be emotionally close.

My son has autism by the way. He's unfortunately not so mild though he continues to make slow progress. But he's quite affectionate.

• It might be difficult to get and keep contact with that girl, if she has real autism.

If she has higher autism (Asperger) it wouldn't be a problem.

• I wouldn't not date her just because of her diagnosis. It really depends on the severity of certain symptoms, and whether or not they could mesh with my personality. I would continue dating said girl, but I would pay attention to her behavior and try to be as honest with myself and with her as possible about whether or not this could work in the long run. That's what everyone has to do when they're dating someone new, isn't it?

• I guess it depends on the type of baggage. I've got nothing against the idea of dating someone with autism, although to be honest I don't know much about it, whether it would effect any kids we might have, or whether it gets worse with age.

I wouldn't break up with her simply on the grounds that she has autism, but I'd need to know that she would still be able to function and work to hold up her end of the relationship.

• I've never been in a relationship, but the one girl I truly loved was Autistic.

She was hand on heart the nicest, most caring, lovable person I've ever met.

So yes, yes I would.

We all have our problems, myself included.

As long as we love each other, then it doesn't matter to me.

Kind Regards.

MashDown5.

More from Guys
22

What Girls Said 1

• Well, I don't date girls, but I don't think the problem that you have would be a turn off for guys. Nobody's perfect and I don't think someone who is into you would reject you because of your problem. I'm sure you'll find a nice guy and he will love you for who you are.