Why modern dating sucks for women & Why modern dating sucks for men

This is a couple of articles from Psychology today posted last year, they're short but the author is a PhD in the subject and he sites other sources as well, its a good read for anyone interested.

Women:

link

Men:

link

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 4

• Not sure what the question is here, but I'm just going confess that I don't date. Never have and possibly never will.

• Interesting

• i think they ar einteresting but can't show all the situations.

• i think there is more to it that what the articles say

• Good observation, Einstein. It's like an article on Organic Chemistry and saying there's more to it than the article, lmao.

What Guys Said 9

• I find it ironic that a lot of the measures that were put in place to "empower" women actually had the opposite effect, bringing about more despair, cynicism, and hopelessness than ever before.

• Eh, the author assumes that all attractive guys are jerks and that all nice guys are not sexually stimulating enough.

I think what it really comes down to is guys BECOME jerks after they get so successful, and guys who are down on their luck all of the time call themselves nice guys because they never had the opportunity to be so successful (and so do not have the opportunity to become jerks).

I'd love to say that I'm a nice guy (I'm certainly better than a lot of other guys out there), but in all honesty I'm not THAT nice. I think it's just that I've only had a few victories.

When I had my high paying job and just moved to California I was going out on weekends and making efforts to socialize and get on the dance floor. I felt really good about the direction my life was heading and if things had kept up that way, I feel like I probably would have met an awesome girl and I wouldn't have become as depressed as I am now.

But instead I lost my job, my apartment lease ran up, and now I find myself living with a friend and screwing up programming interview questions so often that I now have developed a gap on my resume and fear that companies may see me as radioactive now.

According to an OKC study, failure begets more failure: link

Anyway, I don't consider myself a nice guy (because I'm too self-centered) nor do I consider myself a jerk (because I don't like harming/abusing/mocking other people), but I do consider myself extremely unsuccessful as of late.

I just need victories. If I work-out enough and watch my style maybe I'll get a physical victory. If I can just get a decent job offer then I'll have a financial victory. And if I can get those two victories, maybe I'll be able to get a romantic victory and end my current depression. I just wish I could have figured this stuff out years ago so that I never would have fallen so hard...

• "Overall, they report that there is often little incentive for men to date and even less for them to consider long-term commitments."

Couldn't agree more! The "wants list" for women is just too damn much. Not worth it. I wish I could turn off my biological desire to f*** them, because I'd just keep my money and time to myself and get a surrogate baby.

• "Given that, many men sit on the couch, plug in a video game, and opt out just as Behaviorism and Skinner might predict."

This is already happening, actually. In Japan its become such an epidemic their Government had to get involved.

• People are certainly born with better or worse intelligence and humor, but they aren't fixed qualities. But not to say anyone can be Nikola Tesla in the brain or Lebron James in the legs either. There's a difference between being able to keep up in a conversation, and being a good conversationalist. Girls want someone who is "good" socially, not someone who is merely social. Don't take this all too personal. You're a girl and it's just what you guys are biologically designed to be attracted to.

• No, I'm not taking it personal. I was just setting it out as an example that not everyone feels the same. I suppose most bubbly social girls would like someone who could keep up with them, but I, for instance, like quieter guys. Maybe it's more a matter of what kind of girls you like and want to attract than it is about what the majority of girls might look for in a men. Of course the "pleasing spectrum" gets much larger when you're aiming to attract as many girls as possible...

• Nice read. I'll need to ponder some more to form an opinion of it, but an interesting observation nonetheless.

• interesting article

• girls have it easy

• Funny how a lot of guys here say the same things about dating and women and we get a lot of hate for it. Turn's out, we're still right.

• Idk why modern daring would suck for women other than now they actually have to do half the work

• do half the work ? we are expected to do everything and be perfect looking or girls view us as garbage

• Yeah they've never done half the work before so that's the only reason I can see on why they wouldn't like modern dating

• What's funny is that the articles point out that what screwed up gender relations was the changing roles and expectations of women. Read both and you'll see what I mean. I'm not saying I agree with it, it's just an observation.