Guys do you do this on purpose?

So this guy I like when we text sometimes he gets back to me within minutes, but sometimes he takes all day.

A friend told me he will purposely wait a couple of hours to text back a girl he likes because it builds anticipation or something.

So GAG do you do this?

• Yes, I do that on purpose.
  • No, I don't do that on purpose.
  • I'm a girl.

Most Helpful Guy

• For me, it really depends on the day. I try and get back to everyone as quickly as I can, but sometimes, it's just not possible. My schedule varies from day-to-day. In the summer, I have a full-time job and am still a member of the board of directors of a human rights organization and director of their chapter in new york state at the same time. During the academic year (for example, this fall), I am continuing research at two different universities simultaneously, taking fifteen credits worth of courses, doing a part time internship, working full time and continuing my human rights positions full time.

That being said, the intensity of my schedule and my level of fatigue differ day to day. Most of my work e-mails and texts are sent while going between classes or during lunch. So, in conclusion, I try to get back to everyone as quickly as I can, but sometimes, I'm just too busy or too fatigued to even look at my phone. I try my best, though, and if a friend of mine is upset or there is an emergency, I give them specific instructions on how to reach me immediately at any time of day- but if someone was to use that just to ask me some petty question, I wouldn't be thrilled.

What Guys Said 31

• I do it sometimes, but it's got nothing to do with the girl. Sometimes I just don't feel like talking to people.

Seriously girls, guys don't operate on the same level of manipulation as you guys do. I'd have to think pretty hard to come up with a solid reason for most of the things I do, I just do what feels right at the time. So far it's worked out pretty well.

• of manipulation as you girls do***

That was confusingly written

• I too agree with this comment, I wouldn't really have the effort or patient to time my response, just whenever I can think of an answer or when I have time

• I think 90% of the time I do this is because I've left my phone in my car and I can't be bothered to go and grab it.

• This answer depends on a lot of factors.

Some guys play games, that's no secret. Some guys like to make a girl they know likes them wait it out. It's partly to find out if she is clingy. Sometimes it's just to build anticipation. But either way, it's just a game to them. But a guy playing that kind of game is more the exception than the norm.

Most guys I know text back based on importance and what else is going on at the time. For instance, most guys won't text when they are around other people with with their friends. They will keep messages short and to the point or not answer their texts at all. It's nothing personal, but live people take precedence over people texting who aren't there.

Also, it depends on what is going on. If they are busy, a guy won't text back unless it is important. Guys don't stop everything they are doing like girls tend to do to answer a text. Besides, it's a text. If it was important, you would have called.

• Most guys aren't into playing mind games, but yes, there are some guys that think a little suspense will make a female more interested in them.

I think they've read too many dating tips..I think most girls will just get impatient, and/or, suspect the guy is trying to manipulate their feelings, as you are saying here!

• Well I have told everyone Girls included I hate texting it’s impersonal, annoying and time consuming so if I’m sitting around being bored with nothing (NOT LIKELY) to do then yes you get a reply soon . But if I’m in the middle of something then when I am done and have time to sit and play on the phone then you will get a reply. So if you want a response then call let’s talk I can put on the blue tooth and keep doing what I need to do hands free and still talk. Then there ain't no fighting because I was joking about something and you thought I was serious!

• thats called playing hard to get. your keeping the person on a leash by telling him/her that your not tooo available & you have other matters imp in your life. sure its good but at times watch out the person might just get fed up chasing you & quit & chase somebody who reciprocates more than you do. in that case GAME OVER! Sorry you lose then ...

• I get the sense girls do this more than guys because they don't want to seem desperate that they'll wait around before they text back.

I usually just text a few min after I receive the text if I'm free, but sometimes I'm busy and text whenever I do become free which can be a number of hours later

• No, guys are just busy and we text you when we have time. Girls are the once that play those lame waiting games and it's very obvious when they're doing it.

• I do it because sometimes I have the right response at the right time. Other times, I'll wait all day because I have to take some time to think of the proper response so you don't misinterpret my words in the wrong way. There's few things worse than screwing up with a girl because she didn't "get" my sense of humor, or understand an underlying message I was trying to convey. These days, since face-to-face communication is almost non-existent when people are initially getting to know one another, choosing your words wisely is a gross understatement. "Bitch, please!" in the first week of text messaging can go irreversibly wrong, no matter how facetious you were being.

• Nope, I always reply as soon as I see the message. Why play mind games? Just reply as soon as possibly. If replying right away makes the other party think you're too clingy, they're loss.

• something you'll find is girls like to play games like this, for guys its normally because were doing something

• Or he could be busy...a prime example of how a girl can take a Perfectly good relationship and ruin it.

• sometimes if you wait really long it will kill the conversation, because by then the other person might be busy/at work/school/sleep who knows

if I can reply I reply, but sometimes if a lot of people text me I can't get back to them all

I think some people do it on purpose, they fake being busy, nothing is pathetic in my opinion than people who fake it

• No guys have short attention spans. the second he sees it he will usually respond or maybe he's in the middle of something. And no we don't do it to build anticipation, our brains don't work like that and I think that person was either kidding or has no idea what they are talking about

• I don't do it, I usually or try to reply back as fast as I can, if not it's because I'm in the middle of something busy and text back later.

• highly doubt it. Guys are too dumb to think of things like this. Not on purpose.

• No. If I'm not busy I'll reply asap. But if I'm doing stuff I just won't notice the phone.

• I will only not return a text if I really can't right then (work etc.) or if it really doesn't require an immediate response.

• Depends on what we're talking about. If something serious it's due to me taking time to think it over before responding. Otherwise it's not on purpose and just don't see the message (though this is me thinking of it more like IM, I don't text).

• If a guy like or loves a girl he will always find time for her, for me I want take to long.

If the girl I like say something I answer fast. I hope it helped

• I don't. It's indistinguishable from a guy just being busy all day though, so you can't really judge based on this.

• I don't play games. It's too much work for too little reward.

• Ok, I'll reveal the well hidden secret here: No, we don't.

• I do it to my crush a little so maybe he likes you ;)

• I've never done that. I find childish and inconsiderate.

• Shit happens. Deal with it!

• Yes, we do it on purpose.

• I never do that. It doesn't matter if I'm texting a girl I like or if I'm texting some random guy friend, the moment I notice the text, I text back. If I don't text back the moment after reading the text, then I don't reply back at all. I tend not to reply back at all if there was nothing for me to reply back to. Like if the person made a statement, and that statement ended the topic that we were talking about, and I don't have anything else on my mind that I feel I should bring up. I hate it when girls do this, and if I find out that a girl deliberately waits to text me back because she feels that she might feel too clingy or to build anticipation, I tend to just stop talking to that girl and go back to just enjoy the single life. I don't have time for head games and I want to be with someone that feels the same. Someone that doesn't play these childish head games like this, and expects the guy they're with to be the same.

• Sometimes I see the text and don't feel like texting back, then I forget about it >_>

I usually wait 6-8 hours to reply to a text...it really pisses everyone off, including my guy friends.

• No.. I usually reply quickly but sometimes if I don't know what to say or I'm busy or I can't be bothered to text at that moment I'll reply later

• See, if that guy replies instantly most of the times and very rarely takes long to reply mes that he is not doing it on purpose, but if he replies on instantly or takes longer on a 50-50 then he is doing it on purpose. if he really loves you he won't make you wait 'cuz he should know how much it hurts if someone you love so much doesn't reply. I love a girl I haven't proposed yet but, she replies only 10% of my messages most of the times I'm broken hearted.

What Girls Said 5

• If I see a text, I reply to it basically instantly. I don't see the point in hearing it and ignoring it. Message me, I'll reply as soon as I can because obviously you want to discuss something.

• girls do it more than guys I think.

usually with most guys, its that they are actually busy or forgot or it doesn't cross their mind that the girl would start overanalyzing the fact that he just didn't feel like texting back until a few hours later

im curious as to whether guys would not respond for days. is that a game a guy plays or is it that he's actually busy or maybe uninterested?

• yes, they do it sometimes

• I don't think guysput much meaning on texting

• i think they don't notice.

• I have a boyfriend who does this all the time and it used to frustrate the hell out of me XD So I did exactly the same back to him (fair is fair) and I never have any problems. But guys have their own lives and need their own space. It's true a handful of guys do this (I have a fair amount of guys friends) though and some just can't be bothered to text back. Sure text him but if you want immediate replies I'd call him in the future.