If she used the phrase "hang out", is it not a date?

We haven't seen each other in a few years, but she contacted me and said we should "hang out". We made plans and she said she's excited to see me and to get to know each other again. However, because of the terminology she used, I'm not sure if she sees this as anything more than a friendly get-together.

She gave me signs she was into me/at least interested in college, but I was too dumb to act on them. I am way more socially capable now.

Most Helpful Girl

• It possibly means that.

I would see how she treats me she during this date because based on that alone (the information you gave ), it's unclear if she sees you as more.

She very well can.

There's a chance you are reading way too much into the way she worded things.

What Girls Said 10

• I would go into the situation casually, treat it as two friends hanging out and catching up. If she seems flirty when you're hanging out she probably is leaning more towards a relationship than friendship. This could be a second chance. If you can't tell, straight up ask her. Or even hint around the you're interested and see where she takes it.

• Hmmmm it may be a guise and until you guys get to reconnect better she may be into you but wants to go slowly.

I think she is probably into you :)

Just go, act natural, and let things run their course.

imo the word hang out isn't a date. I use hang out for people when we will literally hang out and for my boyfriend too. Then if we are going on a date then I'll differentiate that event and call it a date.

Best of luck to you :)

• It could go either way,

it's definitely very possible she's hoping for more and was just to shy/reluctant to flat out ask you out on a date,

but on the one hand how else are you meant to ask someone to hang out as friends if you can't ask them to "hangout" without it being taken at more than face value?

there's no way to really be sure unless you flat out ask her.

• If you have a history of more-than-friendly feelings for each other or dating in the past, it could be a date, but she may be avoiding using that term to freak you out.

• well as a girl who has done the exact same thing recently, I can say that I was really into the guy. but I hadn't seen him in years, so I didn't want to be like "oh hey let's go on a date" out of nowhere. so I asked if he wanted to hang out, but I was hoping for more.

then again, if I was asking a different guy friend that I didn't find attractive, I'd probably still say "hang out" lol. so you won't really know until you meet up with her. see how the vibe is and be open to a casual get-together but don't be surprised if she flirts with you.

• really depends, for me it would be a date.

• it could still be a date

• It's not exactly a date. It's exactly what she said, just hanging out. But if you guys dated in the past, it may be her attempting to rekindle the relationship but without the formalities. It would be easier to move on if necessary.

• In my opinion it counts as a date for you

• It is a date

What Guys Said 10

• Yes, right, 'hang out' means just a friendly, no commitment kind of get together.

The opposite of a 'date.'

Don't get all dressed up or anything; she wants a catch-up meeting, and if you hit it off, maybe then you could consider something more formal.

• With this situation, its clear she wants to see you. However look at it through her angle. (If she does have interest) Its been years!, and she has no idea whether you look at her the same way. So to keep it less awkward, she might use the term "hang-out" rather than "date". Overall, get together, have some fun, if you guys hit it off, consider asking her to hangout again.

• Some people don't like using the word "date" because the word has the effect of instilling pressure.

In this case, she COULD be interested (I don't know the history between you two), but she wants to meet up without the pressure of that four-letter 'D' word (date).

• What were things like a few years ago? Just friends?

What kind of plans?

• Hanging out to me means, just getting to know someone with no expectations. Dating is when you already know that someone and are romantically interested with a goal of some form of relationship.

Best of luck..

• If you want it to be a date then you should make it clear to her that you want it to be a date.

COMMUNICATION! People act like it's rocket science nowadays *rolls eyes*

If you unsure about something just ask her! It won't kill you. Even we on GAG can't read her feelings, only you know her.

• it isn't anything more, it's a hang out...

• its a good sign either way, date or not. She wants to hang out with you, so she is definitely interested in you. Just be cool and let the chips fall into place.

• The words "hang out" defines 95% of the time as nothing but friends.

• so you think she probably isn't interested?

• Of course she's interested.

All I'm saying is that it's not her intentions.

• Have to know what you guy's relationship was in the past?

• @ update. Don't worry about one word yet. Hopefully hangout meant just you and her. You'll likely know how she feels after this "hangout" time.