Let's play Dating Mythbusters! What dating myth about your gender would you like to declare false right now?

Ah man, this minefield known as "dating" can be so damn complicated sometimes,

especially with all these tips, tricks, and piece of advice going on that aren't true!

-----

1) What "myth" about your gender's dating practices and beehaviour as a whole do you want to declare false?

2) How do you feel this "dating myth" started?

3) Why do you believe some people still believe this "dating myth"?

------

Feel free to be as detailed as you wish, using the numerical system outlined above to answer the question if you wish to do so.

Most Helpful Guy

• Men are scared of commitment.

I don't think many men are scared of commitment. Some men aren't interested. Some are, with the right woman. Some men crave it. But the whole 'wild guy who you can't bring up commitment to till months pass and he realizes he can't live without her', I just don't think that's common at all. Guys who don't want to commit rarely do.

My guess is this dating myth started the same way the similar female myth started (about the girl who isn't interested but after realizing over a long time what a great guy/friend you are she is finally won over by the perfect romantic gesture and falls into his arms).

Lots of people out there have unrequited crushes. They like stories and movies where people win over that person. And people like the idea of being pursued. So they like stories where they shy person who has a great heart on the inside is recognized and swooped up by someone amazing who overcomes their resistance (based on fear).

Both are really bad lessons for life though, where people's interest is far more often exactly how it seems to be a couple weeks in.

What Girls Said 8

• Women love expensive gifts. My girlfriends and I all agree that we feel guilty/awkward when a guy spends a lot of money on us. We much prefer thoughtful gifts.

• if you have sex on the first date you're a whore, not true! I met a great guy that way and we dated for years afterwards.

• that everybody kisses on the first date

• 1) that women NEED a man- any man- at any expense.

2) I think it used to be true- a woman couldn't possibly be validated unless there was a man around who wanted her.

3) habit, I think.

• 1.- women want ot go to expensive places

2.- I don't know ha ha maybe some girls that do make others think is universal.

3.- becasue some girls do.

• That women aren't visual and don't have a sex drive

• That all girls are into bad boys.

• Why do you think guys think you girls are ALL into bad boys?

• that girls only date guys if they are hot

What Guys Said 3

• 1) Men love "the chase" or "women who play hard-to-get."

2) Women wanted to justify wanting to feel chased and showered with male attention, so rather than take accountability for a female desire to feel positively, they tried to frame it as some male desire to chase. Thus, the myth absolves women seeking male attention of any guilt, while simultaneously justifying why such behavior is necessary in dating - "because men love it."

3) It's a power-play. You are chasing me. I am sitting back and having you do all the work, making you put in the lion's share of the effort. It makes me feel more valuable, more in control, like I have to be earned, like I have to approve you, like you are at my mercy, just the way I want it. Psychologically, it's a coping mechanism to deal with insecurity.

• 1. Everyone is beautiful. Especially you.

2. Butthurt people who were not beautiful. Most people who don't want to face the reality that they may actually not be pretty.

3. Because it's the easiest thing to believe about the self. If you're a GREAT person, with all of these GREAT qualities, it's totally them who is missing out on YOU. It's no different than selling yourself the idea that you're a genius even if you fail the tests your professors give you because they are just out to get you and ask in crafty ways they know you don't understand.

• that us guys enjoy the chase

• Preach on, dude! 8-)

• I say if us guys truly, naturally enjoyed the chase, then literally no guys would get tired of approaching girls and initiating with them, for a lot of us guys, it's just a matter of we have to do it